NIGHT LIGHTS

• 13 Replies

desandchez

NIGHT LIGHTS
« on: October 29, 2008, 22:04 »
I have heard that at this time of the year my girls may benifit from extra light. Our girls are kept on the allotment. Any idears as to the best way to give them this extra light and for how long we should leave it on

babe

• elvis king of chooks
NIGHT LIGHTS
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 22:12 »
hello and welcome.

hens need so many hours of daylight each day to produce an egg.

so egg producers use lighting in the winter months to stop them going off lay.

at birth they have a set number off eggs in them. so its a choice of allowing them to lay naturally for a longer period.

or to lay constant but for less years.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
NIGHT LIGHTS
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 22:13 »
As far as I'm aware, the only reason to give them extra light at this time of year is to get them to keep laying throughout winter, particularly if they are kept indoors most of the day, but the cost of this could outweigh the few extra eggs you get so I'd say let them be and give them a well deserved rest!

desandchez

nite lights
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 08:52 »
i'm new to all this as you can all see, and after reading some of your other info looks like i'll be better off saving for an automatic pop hole opener

BarnBrian

NIGHT LIGHTS
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 19:50 »
I'm not convinced that a hen has a pre-determined number of eggs she's going to lay in her lifetime. Where did this theory come from?

Brian
There's more to life than increasing its speed.

poultrygeist

NIGHT LIGHTS
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 20:07 »
It's a fact with all animals Brian. Humans too. Set number of cells in the ovaries. Keep going until they run out. :)

Rob 8)

BarnBrian

NIGHT LIGHTS
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 20:12 »
Just goes to prove we're never too old to learn.  :oops:

poultrygeist

NIGHT LIGHTS
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 20:17 »
Beautifully put. :)

I bet I learn something new on here every day. There's a lot of information HERE

Fascinating stuff :D

Rob 8)

karlooben

NIGHT LIGHTS
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 20:46 »
i am just going to let my guys lay as and when they want to , i dont know why as such but it seems the more i feed my girls i'e pasta rice greens etc i get more eggs an the les they have like just the layers meal or pellets they lay less.

i am also on a allotment site so if i was to use any extra lighting it would have to be battery oprated an that seems like a lot of hassle .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

meterman

• Experienced Member
NIGHT LIGHTS
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 00:40 »
I have also found that more veg etc means more eggs thru winter +short moult time I think my chucks are like me when happy long nights become short and short days become long

desandchez

night lites
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 20:22 »
batteries on the allotment is not too much of a hassle as we have to use one to run the electric fence this last about 4 weeks on average

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
NIGHT LIGHTS
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 20:56 »
I have a solar panel rigged up at my allotment, linked to inverter and 12v battery - then, obviopusly, to a normal bayonet light fitting with energy saving bulb. Trouble is, I never anticipated the amount of energy the timer takes from battery. For this reason, I would look at a system like the Rooster Booster, or rig a similar circuit up (unless you have massive solar panels and wind turbine to sustain energy consumption.  Also, set timer for extra morning daylight hours, which then lets birds setlle at night naturally. The Rooster Booster does however have a dimming setting, which is great.

Hope all goes well.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
NIGHT LIGHTS
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 01:12 »
Tom,  I've often fantasised about having a small solar array with 12v battery to power stuff at the allotment but as i don' have an engineering mind (OH does, but I don't tend to listen to him much  :roll: ) I wasn't sure how much energy I could expect from it.

OH got really good grades at school, particularly compared with mine,   perhaps I should concede defeat and actually listen to him!

desandchez

NITE LIGHTS
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 10:07 »
JUST FOUND A VERY HELPFULL WEB SIGHT WWW.reuk.co.uk they tell you alsorts of ways to build or get round electrical things. i was looking for a 12 volt timer, very expensive, apparently you can use a progamable thermostat, any way well worth a look :D

xx
Security Lights

Started by gronno on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 24, 2007, 15:30
by Aunt Sally
xx
Organic Redmite Control? Who left the lights on in the coop?

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 08, 2008, 14:14
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Egg at night

Started by ctayts on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 28, 2010, 16:18
by ctayts
xx
Chick, first night without mum!!!

Started by PaulineM on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 04, 2011, 08:53
by PaulineM

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 28 queries.