Run access at night?

• 14 Replies

sarahab

Run access at night?
« on: July 12, 2013, 18:27 »
Hi all,
I would really like to get some chickens but I'm worried about having to lock them in at night. My plot's about a mile from my house, I don't drive and in the winter I leave for work before light and get back after so trying to get them locked in a coop at night and let out in the mornings would be difficult if not impossible. So I'm debating having some sort of permanent and super-secure run and letting them go in and out of the coop as they want. Is this feasible or is it a stupid idea? I haven't been able to find anything conclusive online and I don't want to take risks. How would I go about making the bottom secure? Concrete or wire or something?

Beetroot queen

Re: Run access at night?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 18:36 »
We are not permitted to use concrete on the allotments which are council run. The girl before who had one of our plots had a concrete base for her shed, the council made her remove it and break up the base.

Not sure it would be safe without a concrete base.  :wacko:

sarahab

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 18:40 »
At mine we're allowed loose slabs but not any other concrete, reckon that could work?

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 19:10 »
Slabs should be allowed but you would need to give them somewhere to dust bathe. You could put slabs around the edge of the run and leave the middle free for them to dig. Some people on here have automatic openers/ closers for their coops.

grinling

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 19:42 »
I never shuted the chooks in at the allotment as I was a carer for some of the time and they were in a secure run protected from rats and foxes.
Only concern I have is that who would visit the allotment at least once a day in winter as their water will freeze and they need access to water.
Is it not possible to have a couple of hens in an eglu at home?

sarahab

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 20:04 »
I'd still be able to get down once a day, it's just having to go at set times before dark that would be a problem. Having them at home isn't really an option, I only have a tiny yard and my neighbors are very close, don't think it would go down too well. What kind of run did you have?

Juhannus

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 20:34 »
I've just had my chickens and took advice from other plot holders who leave their birds out over night.  We built  a secure run using heras fencing, we dug a trench spade depth all around it, sunk the panels in and then put chicken wire 2 feet out from the panels and then up the side of the panels in a kind of L shape if that makes sense.  We filled the trench in and also used the same fence panels for the roof, filling in any gaps around the top with more chicken wire.  The gap that we cut out for the bob hole has been secured to their shed. And as far as I know it's doing it's job because the birds have been out of the shed for the last 2 nights, probably 3.

I hope that makes sense, if not I can find pictures of what I've done and upload them.

grinling

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 20:53 »
 I use chicken wire, some people prefer weldmesh. This is buried at least a spade depth and out a spade depth so a L shape. I used long lengths of wood, some were ex estate agent posts, and the chicken wire stapled to this. 2nd layer overlapped the 1st.  I use metal corrugated roofing because it was free. Gutter attached to water butt. My housing section is wrapped in polytunnel plastic, bought at local garden centre. This keeps housing area free from rain/snow. There is an outer run with chicken wire roof.  The door to the run was made using wood/chicken wire and this was made wide enough for the house to be taken in/out for deep cleaning.
Couple of battens put in roof area so water/ feed can hang freely. In winter the water container is placed by a tool box as that can withstand breaking of ice.
Food is kept in it's bag in a metal dustbin in the enclosure.

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 07:39 »
I've just had my chickens and took advice from other plot holders who leave their birds out over night.  We built  a secure run using heras fencing, we dug a trench spade depth all around it, sunk the panels in and then put chicken wire 2 feet out from the panels and then up the side of the panels in a kind of L shape if that makes sense.  We filled the trench in and also used the same fence panels for the roof, filling in any gaps around the top with more chicken wire.  The gap that we cut out for the bob hole has been secured to their shed. And as far as I know it's doing it's job because the birds have been out of the shed for the last 2 nights, probably 3.

I hope that makes sense, if not I can find pictures of what I've done and upload them.
my set up on allotment is identical to this except half of my enclosure is covered with roofing sheets why rest covered in green fencing mesh so is secure ,my birds have not been locked in in all the 8mths ive had them, ive had regular visits from the fox,as stated over winter you have problem of water freezing but I hang a water drinker in the shed as well as having 2 ten litre drinkers outside ,probably over the top on drinkers but as far as im concerned dehydration is worse thing to happen to livestock so I know they have enough water for couple days should there be an emergency were I cant get up to them ,even though I know there secure and got plenty food and water im still up there twice a aday.

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 09:30 »
I don't know where you live but in winter freezing conditions always happen at least once and often for a prolonged period of time. You would need to be able to offer water that was not frozen at least twice daily. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 14:46 »
this is how mine was constructed on the plot... I used weld mesh which gives you the added knowledge that it is secure.

This is the skirt which is now flagged over..

to this I then used a smaller sized weld mesh which was then stapled using the galvanised staples..

they also have another run using the same materials that runs about 35m along the fence.

As regards the opening and closing, have you looked the auto door openers, I rarely hear of anyone giving them bad press and on other forums they are used a lot.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Sassy

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 09:05 »
Looks great and er ..... have you padlocked that gate ;)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 09:22 »
Looks great and er ..... have you padlocked that gate ;)

Hubby has a habit of bolting ours with me inside!!   ::)  I always get let out though as he is forever hungry.   :lol:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 10:42 »
Yep, as it is on the plot we do lock it, don't want the chucky eggs being nicked do we!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 17:52 »
Yep, as it is on the plot we do lock it, don't want the chucky eggs being nicked do we!

I think Sassy meant with your little one in there!!   :lol:

xx
Access to hen house

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 13:47
by SusieB
xx
Egg at night

Started by ctayts on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 28, 2010, 16:18
by ctayts
xx
eggs at night

Started by HM on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post September 13, 2008, 21:08
by Mr Chookles
xx
Food in the run at night?

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 16:02
by judesailor

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 28 queries.