baked soil

• 8 Replies

Jimmy Splash

baked soil
« on: April 26, 2010, 09:27 »
i've got a small plot and the soil appears baked. The surface looks parched and cracked and is solid to touch. I've got veg growing underneath but i fear the shoots won't penetrate the top. Whats wrong with it? I haven't been able to add compost but i don't have the means to get any to the site. I.e no car.is there something i can do to rescue the soil and still grow some food? I water it once every 2 days

Beetroot queen

Re: baked soil
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 09:36 »
Have you had rain recently just sounds dry to me, ours is the same which is why I have had to water in April  :unsure:

madcat

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 09:56 »
And mine.   :(  I swear the weeds must have little pickaxes to be able to appear on my plot.   I wanted to rake some of it to a fine tilth yesterday, but just ended up moving what felt like concrete rubble around.  It needs lots of water .....  a really good overnight cloud burst ... or me moving a lot of watering cans (no piped water so no hose pipe)  >:( >:(
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 13:06 »
And mine.   :(  I swear the weeds must have little pickaxes to be able to appear on my plot.   

:lol:  I know just what you mean - my spuds still haven't poked through yet (well only 2 out of 50 :ohmy: ) but there are weeds everywhere  >:(

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 14:29 »
Hi mine is the same and my beetroot and carrots have managed to crack their way through.

Although the top of mine is cracked and very dusty dig down a little and its all pretty damp.

Missy

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 14:49 »
Next time after you water, if you can add a strip of sand, about 1/4" thick, along the seeded areas which will help keep some moisture in and the soil a bit softer for seeds to pop through. Hoe around the sand strips to break up the ceramic top so any water can get through to the lower areas where the seedling roots will eventually aim for.

whippersnapper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 21:06 »
I know what you mean - mine looks like the surface of the moon!

But having been out today, the carrots and beetroot have made their way through... also the soil underneath the surface is reasonably moist - think how much snow we had only a few months ago!  ::)

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 21:17 »
I've hosed over the potato patch today, although some have managed to push through the crust, some were under lumps. When I lifted these, shoots were trying to push through. I'll do the same tomorrow and fork in between the rows to use later for earthing up.

Havengore

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 21:58 »
I can sympathise.  Our Essex clay is well baked after 2 weeks with no rain. However, I've watered it most days and the spud tops have started to poke their heads through.  Don't despair, just be persistant with your watering.

xx
Baked clay soil

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 28, 2012, 10:37
by Kajazy
xx
which spud is best for baked potatoes

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2011, 21:47
by digalotty
xx
Baked (Jacket) Potato

Started by Jabba2006 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 17, 2007, 00:40
by agapanthus
xx
Top soil?

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post November 06, 2011, 18:07
by Benandbill

Page created in 0.399 seconds with 38 queries.