Feather pecking or ......

• 11 Replies

Molly Hen

« on: January 20, 2009, 20:40 »
Hi
Two of my 6 hens has lost there bottom feathers.  They are both the white girls (corals) and they look really healthy and happy until they turn around.  It is not their bum where their vent is, but lower down.  Their skin looks a lovely healthy pink colour, but I worry that it shouldnt be like that.

Not sure if it is one of the others feather pecking or if it is the bedding that I am using and when they are fidgeting about getting readly to lay that they are getting damaged.  

The bedding I am using is wood shavings (what you would use for rabbits etc from pet shop).

I have seen one of the other hens trying to pull their feathers but the Corals just turn round and smack her and don't take no trouble from anyone, so I am really surprised they both look like this.  The others are fine, no problems.

Any suggestions / cures / preventative measures :?:  :?:  :?:  :?  :?  :?  :?

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 05:26 »
There are several things that can cause this but first I would check for parasites. Look at the base of the remaining feathers to see if there is any white crusty looking build-up. This could be a sign of feather mites. Also check the hens all over at night with a strong light and look for any tiny white insects crawling about. These could be lice.

North Devon Dumpling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 11:41 »
Funny (well not really) but I have been having the same problem, I think in the end we have decided they are moulting!!!!!  I checked the with lady I got them from and she still has some from the same batch and they are moulting.  We got them as POL's already laying in May last year so they are probably about a year old and going through their first moult (which apparently some do).  We checked for lice and mites but couldn't find any evidence for either.  Our girls too are fine otherwise (the one with the most feather loss does go and hide for a bit but I think it is to keep wam and out of the breeze).

HOpe you find out what it is with yours and hope it is something as 'simple' as moulting.  Good luck. :D

Molly Hen

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 20:11 »
Thanks for this advise.  I will have a look tomorrow night to see if it is lice (please, please, please let it not be...... :? )

I might email the farmer who I got them from to see if he still has any from this batch and if they are the same.  

I might even try and take a photo to post on here to see if anyone else has seen similar.

Molly Hen

Picture added... Feather pecking or....
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 17:05 »
Managed to get a picture of one of their back ends today

Cricky, that picture was larger than I expected.....

They are both the same and there are the ends of the feathers still there (or maybe new ones coming out, not really sure).  No wounds.

Probably just a bit drafty....
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 20:46 by john »

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 22:32 »
Could they be wearing them away on something, perch rough ? I don't think it looks like moulting IMHO.

There's a good pick of moulting close up on this website for you to have a look at.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Tinkers

• www.the-admin-angels.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 12:07 »
If it's any help, that is how our three started their moulting. Bottom first and upwards.

You may find that one of them is staying in the house to avoid being pecked. Hopefully I am wrong. We have had quite a problem with pecking since they started to moult and staying in the coop seems to be their only sanctury.

North Devon Dumpling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 13:49 »
Ours started on the bum too, the worst one also hid from the others for a bit.  Pin feathers comming through now and she isn't hiding any more. :D

bettyblue

Re: Feather pecking or ......
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 20:12 »
I have four hens who have been getting along fine. I have had them since October. Today I noticed three of them have lost their feathers from vent right down underneath. One hen hasn't lost any feathers and seems to be pecking at the others. Does anybody know if this sounds like moulting or do you think the odd one out has plucked all the others????

Tinkers

• www.the-admin-angels.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 08:59 »
Hi Betty Blue,

it sounds the same problem as we have had. We ended up having to re-home our serial pecker - who, incidently, was in perfect form with not a feather missing!  ::). We only have two left now and what a state they were in and even they were having a good go at pecking each other, so after a good dose of sick inducing Anti-Peck Spray the pecking seems to have almost ceased.  :)

It doesn't sound like your hen has pecked out all the other feathers but it does sound like her pecking is a result of the moulthing, just like ours started out. Just persevere with the moulting and soon you will see the pin feathers start to come through, if you can get hold of some Anti-Peck spray (wear very old clothes that you can throw away) give them a good blast over the moulting areas. Just make sure they have enough space to get away from each other too.

Good Luck and I hope the pecking stops soon!

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 09:38 »
Could be moulting. Are the feathers left lieing around or have they disappeared? Do you feed supplements?
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

bettyblue

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 18:18 »
thanks for the advice, i will try to get some anti-pecking spray tomorrow. There are only a few feathers lying around, not many! I feed the chickens with organic layers pellets, a bit of corn in the afternoon, some greens each day and bread crumbs and a bit of poultry spice every few days. I have separated the offending pecker because I couldn't bear to see her having a go at the exposed skin. Any further tips greatly appreciated.

xx
Feather pecking

Started by beulah59 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 21:40
by beulah59
xx
Feather pecking

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 17, 2016, 11:37
by Sassy
xx
Feather Pecking Again!

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 22:07
by GrannieAnnie
xx
feather pecking

Started by buforp on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 15, 2010, 17:45
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 33 queries.