Chicken keeping newbie.. questions

• 13 Replies

billycasper

Chicken keeping newbie.. questions
« on: May 06, 2011, 22:53 »
Hi, i have just got 3 chickens, one bluebell, a light sussex and a lohman which IS the boss. The lohman lets the younger light sussex hen know that she is the boss to the point where i have extended the run to let the sussex run a little more free. All seemed to be well.  if i let them out into the garden they will roam together and sit together,eat together... the sussex does keep a wary eye on where the lohman is but seems happy, Is eating and drinking and settling in.. until
dusk
clearly she doesnt want to go to roost and wants to escape the run. i have listened to them going to bed and there doesnt appear to be any commotion but i know when i first got them she was pecked as they settled down
I have only had them together 5 days. and know a pecking order would be established but how do i stop the sussex getting stressed and out of thinking she is always going to get pecked. which she doesnt...  what are the options??
bigger sleeping area (not really an option)
get the sussex in first or
a psychologist - a little expensive
or just stop worrying and things will settle down

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Chicken keeping newbie.. questions
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 23:11 »
The fourth option sounds about right unless you see things getting out of hand.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

billycasper

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 23:36 »
is this kind of thing normal??  and i have another question. when holding the bird to exmaine or treat for mites is holding them upside down by the legs a suitable option? i ask because i have seen and heard conflicting views..

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 23:48 »
The pecking order seems to change occasionallyand usually looks worse than it is.

I prefer to support my hens on my knee when inspecting/treating them.  Just feels better to me.  Not sure about holding them upside down, might stress them too much.

billycasper

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 00:09 »
Thanks for the replies,  i know they take time to settle and i have to say they are the funniest things to watch. they are point of lay birds so young and still learning.. it would appear i will have to be a little more patient..
i would prefer the "knee" method of inspecting but how do you keep them still and examine them??

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 00:14 »
Mine are fine when you lay them on their side they don't flap so you can inspect one side at a time. 

They are more flighty when they are younger and loads easier to handle once they start laying.  They will crouch down when you approach them and seem to enjoy more handling.

billycasper

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 00:26 »
That sounds promising..   i will look forward to that day..

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 00:30 »
Happy chicken keeping, they will give you hours of amusement each day. 

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 07:54 »
They will crouch down when you approach them and seem to enjoy more handling.

Someone forgot to tell Dorcus and Bernadette this  :unsure:, busy bribing them with treats to get them used to being near me before I try to grab the little bleeders  :D
Alice - Australorp
Bernadette - Barnevelder
Dora - Silver Grey Dorking
LilliBet - Cream Leg Bar

bantam novice

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 08:27 »
Another thing to try is to wait until they are well roosted in their coop and then lift them up to examine them.  You can also examine the coop for redmite at the same time.  You will need a torch for this. 
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

billycasper

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 08:58 »
i had heard that "bantam" but our coop is only small and not a walk in one. it has a seperate door but if want to examine the bird thats at the back then i would have to take them all out...  I have some red mite powder ready .. will this kill all mites or lice ??

billycasper

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 18:21 »
just a little update.. it would appear that my initial thoughts on the bird not wanting to "go in" was wrong.. looking at them more closely they ALL at around dusk start looking up..  they start to jump up on anything and everything (including my shoulder).. the lohman and bluebell quickly calm down and go to bed but the white one takes forever.. It is very funny but  i have to watch her for launching at the shed and greenhouse...
is this normal??..
 anyway thanks for the replies im learning all the time and this forum is invalubale..

ANHBUC

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 14:37 »
Billy, mine seem to have an order in which they get up and go to roost.  One - Road Runner is usually the last to go in and loves sitting proudly on top of the coop.  Think she is on the look-out before bedtime duty.   :D  I try not to go out in the garden when they are ready to roost as they just take longer, thinking they are getting treats.  I tend to watch from in the house and when they have all been in the coop for about 10 minutes they have usually all jumped up on the perches.  Then it is safe to lock them away for the night without them all racing back out of the coop.

billycasper

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 16:03 »
Thank you anibuc.. we were left thinking we had manic chickens.. pacing up and down, jumping up and then..... nothing, bed time !!  they are really funny to watch especially at this age when they havnt for instance seen a squirrell before.. priceless

question
Keeping Urban Hens Newbie Questions

Started by lizf68 on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post July 21, 2011, 12:03
by Kenilworth
xx
chicken keeping newbie needs advice

Started by boosmummy on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 20:29
by boosmummy
xx
Newbie chicken keeper - Couple of quick questions

Started by cudders on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post October 22, 2007, 22:35
by Aunt Sally
xx
New to poultry keeping and a few questions

Started by arwen on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 24, 2011, 19:05
by ManicMum

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 38 queries.