do chicks need grit

• 5 Replies

kaz1510

do chicks need grit
« on: May 09, 2011, 20:19 »
Hi i was just wondering do i need to give my chicks grit. They are six weeks old. If not at what age do i start giving it to them.
1 Bluebell, 1 Magpie Maran, 2 Goldlines, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Exchequer Leghorn, 1 Buff Sussex, 1 Chocolate Orpington, 2 Wellsummers, 1 white leghorn cross and 1 Crested Cream Legbar. Not forgetting my 3 dogs, 3 cats, 2 rabbits and my sons rats

rachelr

Re: do chicks need grit
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 21:05 »
I was reliably told by GA to bring in the grit/oyster shell at about the same age as yours. I bought smaller crushed stuff when they were younger. Good luck

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 21:57 »
Did I?  We don't actually use grit, as the chickens are always digging up stuff in their runs.

It's only to help grind up their food so it can be digested. 

I tell people to use it if they want to, as a lot of people are told that chicken have to have grit.

But don't remember saying to use it from 6 weeks, but then I forget a lot of things lately!  :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 21:59 »
do not feed young chicks oyster shell - they do not need calcium until they are laying.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 00:40 »
There are two kinds of grit.  

There is hard grit, that all birds need to help grind up their food.  Chicks need this, and I think I've read that some chick food might already have it included?  Birds that have access to the outside world will pick up little stones for themselves so don't need it added.

The second kind of grit is shell grit.  This is bits of ground sea shells or egg shells that laying hens use to get enough calcium when they're laying eggs.  It is not needed until they start laying, and it can cause major health problems later if given to young chicks.

So kaz the answer is: yes, make sure your chicks have hard grit available.  Check on their feed packet and see if it's included.  Are they outside yet? If not you can put some dry sand into their enclosure and they can pick bits up as they need it.

Don't give them shell grit.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 00:42 by Lindeggs »

kaz1510

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 14:32 »
Yes my chicks are out during the day and put back inside at night. I will check the feed to see what is it. I read that some people use chinchilla sand/grit, would that be ok.

xx
Grit & chicks

Started by Sluggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 24, 2009, 08:44
by Sluggs
xx
chicks & grit

Started by mrs chook on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 19, 2014, 22:23
by joyfull
xx
Grit

Started by Sprouts on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 07, 2011, 19:40
by robert-h
xx
Grit

Started by D.Bates on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 22, 2008, 01:51
by nettynoodles1

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 35 queries.