Showing eggs in local show, advice please

• 4 Replies

sally10

• Chickens make me smile everyday !!
Showing eggs in local show, advice please
« on: March 22, 2011, 18:43 »
Hi,

I am interested in taking part in my local horticultural show next month as a novice and I am looking for some advice.
I am no expert hen keeping my any means so I am wondering what is classed as the perfect egg ?
I have looked for photographs on the internet but can't seem to find any?

Also in the "egg" category there are the following sections I am not sure what they mean the others sections I have guessed that three brown hen eggs mean just that !

One hen egg supreme
One hen egg contents

Have you got any other advice or exeriences that might hel?

Thank You in advance.

Sarah

:D

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: Showing eggs in local show, advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 20:00 »
Hi Sarah, I don't know what specific judging criteria might be for the show, but take a look at this link for a starting point: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps020

It's a US article about eggs for sale, but I imagine the criteria for the 'perfect egg' would be similar at a show.  Things like shape, colour, texture, foreign material on the shell.  If you read the article it explains in detail, but Table 1 also gives a quick overview.

Is there any way you could post a few egg pics here and let us comment?

Good luck at the show!

sally10

• Chickens make me smile everyday !!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 20:05 »
thanks for that I will take a look, I would post pictures but I am having a technology nightmare at the moment with downloading pictures !!! I still haven't sorted my holiday pics for everyone from Feb !!

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 12:39 »
I'm also looking at showing some eggs in local shows when it comes to the time. The Poultry Standards Book gives what judges are looking for but is expensive (although I did treat myself to a copy  :wub: ).

Externally the egg should be the ideal shape (hard to explain I guess so your probably best going by what is shown on the link from Lindeggs), and as mentioned be free from damage dirt etc.

Internally the air sack should be small, the albumium should not 'overspread', the yolk should be raised and there should be no development by the embreyo.

Basically you need three (or five depending on how many you want to do) fresh eggs which all look the same (although you can do three different ie a blue, dark brown and normal) and are the same size. You musn't apply any polish etc as this is a disqualification offence and a report can be raised giving details to the poultry club of GB.

I think I've remembered the basics. When I get home I'll have a look at what the book says and add if I need to. Goodluck  :tongue2:

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 19:08 »
It might be worth going back to the Show organisers for clarification: most people who are willing to run a Show like that would probably be delighted to attract new exhibitors, and ought to be happy to explain their terms.

Then you can tell the rest of us!
ManicMum

xx
Showing eggs.

Started by kimT on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 08, 2008, 10:54
by kimT
xx
Hatching Eggs - Show/Exhibition or not?

Started by gsc on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 09:32
by gsc
xx
Egg show advice

Started by Brad26 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 22:24
by Brad26
xx
Hen off eggs for 1 hour - advice.

Started by joyfull on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 21:21
by joyfull

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 35 queries.