Older chickens .... what to do ?

• 6 Replies

RobinL

Older chickens .... what to do ?
« on: May 03, 2014, 08:42 »
After originally buying 6 hens 5 years ago, we gave one away as it got picked on so much. 2 others have died along the way. We are now left with a Bluebell, a Maran and a Light Sussex.
They have all laid this year but only the Maran is currently laying and that's only about 1 egg a week.
They are not pets, no names and I always said they would have to be laying to be kept.
However, now faced with the situation and never having done the deed I would rather not for fear of getting it wrong and making the bird suffer.
The other alternative would be to give the birds away which I would prefer although I will ensure that if anyone was to take them they are aware that they probably won't lay much if at all.

What do others do in this situation ?

I don't have the space to introduce others but I would like to have some more which are providing us with eggs.

Thanks

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Older chickens .... what to do ?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 09:05 »
I keep all mine as a thank you for giving me their eggs in the past. We have a online forum called lincs pets for life where people successfully rehome their none layers - maybe you have one near you.
Perhaps any new hens you get ought to be warrens or similar rather than pure breeds as they only live 3 years on average and die fairly soon after they stop laying.
Staffies are softer than you think.

RobinL

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 09:10 »
Thanks for the reply .... next time we will buy hybrids to ensure we have a similar lifespan for them all.

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 11:54 »
Do be aware that when rehoming not all folks are offering a good home, it is not unknown for them to be used as 'sport'! If you can find someone more experienced who can do the deed for you and show you how as well that, in my opinion would be worthwhile :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

wolfpup

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 18:38 »
Afraid I cannot be of any help either as my girls stay with me for life  -  my original 5 all died from old age after 'retiring' from laying  - they were ex-bats though and only lived with me for 21/2 years  -  which made the oldest one just over 4 years old - a great age for an ex-bat.

hen addict

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 18:00 »
What some people do when keeping hens/hybrids for eggs is:- add a few hens each year for 3 years then it's out with the old and in with the new every year thereafter, the old ones are culled but it's a personal decision depending on whether you want a permanent egg supply. Hybrids burn out after about 3 years but some can live to 5 or longer. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but very sadly very true.
A chicken mad addict currently owned by 12 lovely hybrid hens, 1 large allotment growing lots of  fruit and veg

grinling

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 22:00 »
you could take them to a vet. what would you do if they were sick? It might not be nice but it can be a quick way, got to be better than electrocution at the process shop.

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
What food for young and older chickens

Started by redspookycooky on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 20, 2011, 21:14
by daisy1990
xx
As they get older...

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 17, 2010, 20:36
by jinty1911
xx
When they get older...

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 05, 2012, 14:44
by sneezer

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 39 queries.