My homemade incubator

• 40 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: My homemade incubator
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2012, 22:03 »
I can only pass on my own experiences nuzuki. But glad to be able to try to help a little bit! Generally speaking, if they haven't hatched by day 24, then they probably won't, but we have heard stories of chicks hatching on day 25.

Only thing is, be careful as if they have been in the warmth of the incubator and are dead in their shells. they can smell terrible.

If some of mine hadn't hatched by day 22.  I used to pick each egg up and tap it lightly and put it to my ear.  If there is a live chick, it will cheep at you!  Lovely to hear the little cheeps from inside the shell!

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2012, 12:23 »
No joy yet although the eggs are extremely heavy. Im not sure whether to keep them going now or abandon the project. Today will be the 3rd day that they are overdue by. I did also notice at one point the temp spiked to 42deg C but it was only like that for a minute at the most. If I have no luck the friday I shall take the eggs out and look inside each one. I shall probably make a new incubator or tweek this one and buy some new eggs from ebay. Im hoping it was down to fertility rate due to the time of year I bought the eggs rather than something I did. Keeps my spirits up thinking that way anyhow :)

kegs

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2012, 14:01 »
Keeping my fingers crossed that they still might hatch.  :mellow:

Before you decide to abandon it, it might be worth candling again to see if there's any movement, just in case.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2012, 19:30 »
I did think about candling them but thought it was a no no to touch them after the 18day mark. I'll give it a go tomorrow evening. I've got the humidity upto 75% now and its staying there nicely. Im pretty sure I can hear noises coming from the incubator also but could be my overactive imagination  :D

It does smell a little mouldy in the incubator. I did clean it thourally before starting but it seems a little smelly. Not eggy smelly just evaporated water/mouldy smell. Maybe I should of given it another clean half way through. I could do this whilst I have the eggs out for candling but maybe thats something I can do next time.

Anyhow fingers all crossed this end. Cheers for the reply Kegs

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2012, 20:30 »
Ok so I candled the eggs and decided 8 of the eggs were clear. I thought id have a peek inside the eggs as a bit of a learning experience and the 8th one low and behold there is a chick inside. I had already cracked the egg so have put it in the brooder (not the incubator) and he/she is breathing but im doubting they'll make it. Of all the eggs this was a rhode island red sent from Ireland.

I still have 5 in the incubator which look hopeful so im a bit confused as to what to do now. Shall I check/crack the others or just leave them and hope nature takes it cause? Tomorrow they shall be 6 days overdue.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2012, 16:54 »
Ok the chick died but I have some pictures of it and removed the air sac from around it to get a better look at the chick forming. Hopefull this will provide a bit of an education to others as it certainly helped me learn alot.

Cracking the eggs. A couple had a little blood in them and some were noticeably more watery than others.

Then on the 8th (last) egg, I noticed it wasnt cracking as easily. This appeared

I didnt want to put it back in the incubator as I could contaminate the other eggs so I quickly setup the brooder and placed him/her/it in there. They were breathing noticeably for a good 4 hours so there was me thinking this could hatch.

Anyhow the chick didnt make it, so I decided to probe futher

Can anyone offer any information on how far the chick was along? The yolk sac seems pretty big still so im guessing it would have been another 2 or 3 days. This would of meant the incubation period being over 1 month long. Im stuill unsure what I should do with the 5 eggs left in the incubator. They look hopeful upon candling but as they are long overdue im not expecting much.

kegs

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2012, 18:07 »
I'm not expert at this so hopefully someone will advise you.  This US site explains the process day by day and says that Day 16 the beak becomes firm and day 19 the yolk sac will start to enter the chick, so your chick must be somewhere between the two.  As this chick was alive for a while I'd keep the others going for another 5 days just to see what happens assuming they are from the same delivery of eggs (and then I'd save up for an incubator!  ;))

http://extension.missouri.edu/p/G8353

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2012, 20:51 »
Thanks Kegs thats some real interesting reading there. I also took it upon myself to google the terms in inverted commas "hatched on day 26" "hatched on day 27" "hatched on day 28" etc etc and have come up with some interesting articles on this forum and backyardchickens. I was worried back at the beginning about the temp spiking and it "cooking" the eggs so I adjusted the thermostat down a little as at a couple of points it went upto 42deg C but only for 2mins or less. So I thought my temp was up too high but it appears from reading that slow to hatch chicks are caused by lower temps. Maybe i'll have luck with the others afterall

Anyhow another 9 bantam light sussex eggs have been ordered and shall arrive next week. I also have another 4 eggs from a farm near me but they could be unfertile, I just thought id take a gamble on them.
This time around I shall have a perspex window in the incubator so I can see whats going on without having to lift the lid and disturb the humidity/temp. I shall also look into putting a couple of vent holes at the bottom and shall look into making an egg turner courtesy of a few youtube videos and a bit of woodwork. I'll keep you posted as to how I get on. If I have no luck this second time around I shall take the plunge and buy an incubator but being an engineer by trade I try not to buy what im pretty certain I can make. Maybe my certainty isn't what it used to be  :lol:

kegs

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2012, 20:57 »
At least you're trying and it may help others too.  Don't forget though that some of the sites you read may be from US where they will have much warmer temperatures and different humidity which will affect their hatching results.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2012, 23:07 »
Thanks for the support Kegs.

Heres a few of links I found on late hatching...

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/437207/its-day-23-no-signs-of-eggs-hatching

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/533942/one-chick-hatched-on-day-20-now-its-day-22-and-no-more-excitement

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/444573/should-i-have-helped-sooner

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/522807/its-day-26-and-i-can-see-him-now-do-i-help

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/487935/hatched-on-day-26

I was thinking of cracking the eggs slightly whilst they are in the incubator, does anyone know if this would help? i.e. a slight fracture, then wait for say half a day then make a bigger hole and so on and so on...

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2012, 07:04 »
be very careful, at the first sign of any blood then stop. I know some people have helped a chick hatch once it has pipped but not until then.
Personally I would give up on the home made incubator and save up for a fully automatic one as it is risking lives.or at least have several dummy runs to make sure your incubator is running to the correct temperature and humidity.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 08:35 by joyfull »
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
homemade brooder

Started by samuria on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 23, 2013, 17:21
by Tigerwren
xx
testing my homemade

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post March 07, 2008, 12:37
by poultrygeist
xx
Homemade Incubators.... Help :(

Started by Chookiechook on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 19:38
by Chookiechook
xx
Is a plastic box ok as homemade brooder?

Started by HairyBear on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 14, 2009, 09:08
by Sassy

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 40 queries.