Bolting

• 12 Replies

Zippy

Bolting
« on: May 29, 2008, 10:01 »
Just when you think you have found a veggie that will withstand the slug invasion - it bolts!

I have a problem with 1) onions grown from sets last autumn and 2) turnips.

The onions I am getting around by pulling them green instead of storing, but I am not sure what to do about bolting Turnips.

Do I hoe through and start again with my back-up potted Turnips which I sowed in case of slugs devouring my open sown ones or do I need a different strategy?

Any advice much appreciated.

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
Bolting
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 10:14 »
My overwintered onions and Spring sown onions, both from sets are starting to bolt too and are far from being large enough to do much with.

Cawdor
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Bolting
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 16:51 »
must be the weather  :roll:   I have noticed a lot around me starting to bolt, I stopped growing onions a few years ago now for the same reason and just grow shallots, they always seemed to be better.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Bolting
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 17:40 »
my over winter onions are starting to bolt like mad all of a sudden... swines :)

Martin

• Experienced Member
Bolting
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 18:00 »
Seems that the recent variations in temperature may cause this.
See this RHS article.
Martin

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
Bolting
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 19:18 »
My overwintering swedes bolted as I think have my perpetual spinach, early rocket and chinese cabbages, the latter I knew were a gamble. By bolting, is that when they flower too early? And can they still be eaten? Thanks.

gobs

Bolting
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 20:26 »
Yes, early flowering. Eating, depends what it is. Onion tips can be pinched out and still decent onions, need using first though, but not a panick, turnip I don't transplant , so don't know about that one, perp spinach - leaves perfictly fine to cook when it's flowering, rocket is edible but tough, so not that nice, don't know about sweed, Chinese cabbage you want to behead and use as soon as it starts bolting.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
Bolting
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 21:25 »
Thanks gobs. My swede I dumped as they were all stalk and no swede I'd started them in troughs which they outgrew . New seeds planted in ground & germinated. As soon as my beansprouts are ready (day to go) I'll be making  stirfry with my chinese cabbages  :D

Emsdad

bolting onions
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 11:33 »
yep - my onion sets bolted last year by the time that they were pickled onion size, and it looks like it's going to happen again this year.

Probably won't bother next year - any other good over-wintering crops (apart from garlic) that anyone can suggest?

shirazcat

Bolting
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 11:49 »
Hi emsdad,  :)
                      Did you use heat treated sets? I used red electric ones, & they have been fine, started pulling them this week, not bolting yet :D
 Other overwintering crops? got to be broad beans, aquadulce claudia (what a stupid name) doing great ,have been picking for a week now, they always beat the blackfly if grown over winter.
                                                          Adrian.
life is too short for work

muntjac

Bolting
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 12:21 »
tip for bolting plants is to cut back the leaves to just one or 2 .with spinach i take it down to just that and eat the offcuts the plant wil then regrow more shoots  :wink:
still alive /............

Lynne

Bolting
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 15:07 »
My autumn planted onion sets (Shakespeare) are starting to bolt too and they were heat treated. I just cut off the stems where the buds are forming and will start to get them up and eat them soon. I mark all the one's that bolt so they will be pulled first. Luckily, they are a good size.

Other crops to over wimter - spring cabbage. I grew Offenham 2 last winter and they were delicious.
Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

Lynne

Bolting
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 15:08 »
Or even to over winter!  :lol:

xx
Everything bolting :-(

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 08, 2010, 20:36
by radiohead
xx
Bolting

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 09:12
by DD.
xx
BOLTING

Started by wapello on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 07, 2018, 17:03
by al78
xx
Bolting

Started by TansyCobweb on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2023, 19:40
by TansyCobweb

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 38 queries.