Lost my enthusiasm

• 48 Replies

HLS

• Experienced Member
Lost my enthusiasm
« on: October 11, 2010, 14:07 »
Hi all,  I haven't been on here for a while, since I got made redundant at the end of last year and (after a rather nervous couple of months) started a new job which leaves me less time for reading forums.  I'm afraid I'm coming back to have a bit of a moan and possibly announce that I'm giving up on the vegetables.

I've only got a quarter plot, and in theory I should have time to go there for half an hour after work or at weekends, which should be plenty of time for such a small space not far from where I live.  In reality, it's all feeling a bit much at the moment.

When I applied for some space on the allotments I knew it was going to be mainly me providing the planning and enthusiasm but I'd thought my husband would enjoy sharing some of the legwork and at any rate, the produce.  In fact he's not at all interested in vegetables and while he's generally polite if I start talking about gardening, I'm finding it a bit depressing that it's just me that's interested.

Then last year I got sciatica and was out of action during a lot of the planting season, and although my husband helped out, I didn't get the impressive veg I'd hoped for, which means that last year I couldn't demonstrate how wonderful home grown veg is.  (And the tomatoes got blight, and then the squashes I'd been quite proud of rotted in storage).  And then the friends who'd got me thinking that I might like an allotment, and helped out when I first got this one, left the country.

This year I tried to keep on top of things but I keep finding that when I suggest I go to the allotment at the weekend I'm met with cries of "do you have to?" or suggestions of things we ought to be doing instead (like the DIY that we need to do or sorting out our back garden, or working out what to tell the builders who have been working on our garage all this summer), and requests for help with digging etc. get put off and put off.  If I go after work instead of meeting OH at his work and going home together, or meeting friends, I feel depressed because half an hour isn't enough to do things properly unless I'm absolutely up to date (which I never am, this year).  By the time I've got home, changed, got the necessary tools out of the shed, carried them down the road, weeded and picked anything edible, taken it all home and washed/wiped/put away the veggies, I'm ready to sit down, not get changed and immediately start cooking dinner (which is now delayed because I've been out). 

So I've basically been leaving it longer and longer, with the result that every time I go it seems like there's less point, because obviously I'm not getting great vegetables with not a lot of supervision, and if I'm the only one who likes spending time growing them, cooking them or eating them (and right now I'm not sure about the first one).  And the more I feel like that and the longer I leave it the more I dread going, because I know there's a lot to do and the other plotholders must be pretty fed up with me - after all, it's only a quarter plot so how hard could it be to stop it being a complete mess?  The last couple of times I've been some well-meaning and friendly people have come over to be encouraging and give advice, which is nice of them but means that of the half hour I've got, I spend twenty minutes apologising and ten minutes weeding while feeling wretched.

So, basically, I know it's my own fault, but I'm starting to wonder whether it's all worth it.  I really don't want to give up, but it would be a lot of work to get the plot under control at this point, and I just can't seem to summon the energy.

Any suggestions?  Advice?  Encouragement?  Or should I just stop whining and concentrate on something else?

starry

Re: Lost my enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 14:18 »
I think we all get like that at some point I can usually only get to my large plot once a week but I know if I gave it up I would miss it. I have had a really rubbish year personally, and although my husband helps me transport manure to my plot (from the garden centre ) he doesn't help, he can be encouraging sometimes but its not really his "thing" I would hang on for now until spring when your enthusiasm might come rushing back (hope it does, best wishes  :)   
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

digalotty

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 14:20 »
this is where i get my inspiration , when i see others showing veg with pride and talking about how they did it it makes me think i want to grow that now, my wife dont come the plot very often but she did enjoy diggin up my fresh potato's
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Debz

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 15:08 »
I  only have a small garden but I also have a small baby and a husband that works backshift.  I can get to do about an hour on a Saturday morning if the weather is dry while the baby is sleeping.  So the result is my garden is not immaculate but I thoroughly enjoy the little bit of peace I get while in it.  some of my veg this year was good and some not so good but I'll have another go next year even if it is just for one hour all to myself.

BADBACK

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 15:11 »
DONT GIVE IT UP
give it time, cover it with plastic sheets  till next year
a rest will do the soil good and yourself
hold on in there lass and it will get better

bigben

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 15:18 »
Cover a bit to allow you to get on top of the rest. Explain to your bloke what you hope to do. See if he would just do one small area for the veg of his choice. If not you could see if one or two friends would like a bed on your allotment for next year. This would give you some company, encourage you along and hopefully keep some of it dug.
Dont give up! :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 15:28 »
I'd say give it up HLS.  (Not what I normally say.)

It's not giving you pleasure (or food) it is and always will be a cause of strife at home - Do you need the stress.

I would say it would be much better to grow a bit of veg/salad/fruit at home in your garden.  It can be done in quite a small space and OH may well become interested if he's seeing it each day.  Invest in John's book which is extremely cheap on Amazon and is a really good one (I have it).

Vegetable-Fruit-Growing-Small-Spaces
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 15:30 by Aunt Sally »

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 16:53 »
I'm with Aunt Sally on this one.  I would love to offer you encouragement but the thing about a hobby is it should bring you joy, not suffering.  If you feel guilty about the time spent doing something you are meant to be enjoying it won't be productive.

As Aunt Sally suggests, some pots or small raised beds in the garden can be equally as rewarding - if not more so as you'll feel you can give them the time they deserve.  Pick things that are fairly low maintainance and can take a bit of abuse if you forget to water them one night or whatever.

Don't give up totally on your love of veg - just scale it back a little to something that is manageable for you and suits your lifestyle.

Good luck with whatever you decide.  :)
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 17:34 »
Really sorry to hear about how you're struggling with this dilemma.  It sounds as though it's been a hard 12 months  :( .

We're getting towards the end of this growing season now and perhaps you could assess how priorities and commitments might be different (or not) next spring.  Will you still have builders in?  Will your own garden be more sorted out over winter?  As Aunt Sally suggests, can you find time and space to GYO in your own garden?  Will you regret not having that space to yourself down the lotty?

My lotty has been sadly neglected at times this year, having moved house 6 months ago.  For me it's important to keep it on, for social as well as veggie reasons.  But that might not apply to you, and only you can tell what is best for your happiness.

And of course we're still here, whether or not you keep the lotty on!!  Good luck in the decision either way - take your time about it.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

fatcat1955

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 17:40 »
Give it 1 more year, if you feel the same then give it up. Do not make a hasty decision, sleep on it. Try to grow easy veg next year, runners, french beans etc will give you a huge return for little effort. I had to buy a chest freezer this year to house the beans. Courgettes are another easy crop although you may get sick of the sight of them on your plate.

oldcow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 18:14 »
How about finding somebody to share your allotment with? There are usually long queues of people waiting, and you could cut in half the time you spend in the allotment and still keep it in good shape; you would also have somebody to give you advice, if you choose an experienced grower, and somebody who would enjoy talking about growing veggies. You can look at: http://www.landshare.net/.
I also agree with the suggestion of growing something in your garden, if that's feasible. It has worked very well for me since it's easier to find the time to work in it, even if it's just a few minutes every day.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 18:16 »
It's only a quarter plot now.  Not really feasible to divide it again.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 18:52 »
Landshare isn't suitable for allotments, I'm afraid.  It's for landowners rather than tenants.

elibump

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 20:07 »
Sorry its been such a bad year for you.  Do you need to make the decision now, can it be delayed for a bit while you assess things.  Growing things at home makes sense - I dont know if its been 'pruned' but last year elcie (?  I hope I got that right) made a wonderful case for square foot gardening on the forum.

When things swamp you as things have done this year for you, its difficult to see where to go and difficult to see the positive in anything.  Like you, we haven't been able to look after our allotment this season but we're planning next year and taking things slowly, we may have to give up our allotment but we may manage and that keeps us planning.

Only you can decide whether to give up or not, assess things, see how else you can do the veggie growing and dont be rushed into a decision that you may regret later.

Take care

Eli xx
Talking to the microwave,I ask you wall, what is the world coming to?
Blesséd are the cracked for tis they who let in the light!

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 23:51 »
HLS - At different times things are right or wrong, and I would say go with the flow, you are not enjoying it now, but that doesn't mean that if you give it up now you can never start again.  I had major rabbit problems in my garden, and really gave up on it (particularly the veg bit) for nearly 5 years till I could afford to rabbit net it  -  And when I started it off again I enjoyed it far more. 

So relax, enjoy and let life take its course, and just think, someone else will benefit from what you give up, and you could always grow a few things at home which will help sort out your own garden. 

All the best
Sue
Dark Brown Eggs
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

xx
Peas, lack of enthusiasm

Started by rictic on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 12, 2013, 20:40
by shokkyy
xx
lost veg

Started by big green bloke on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 09, 2011, 22:52
by solway cropper
xx
Lost almost everything :(

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 11, 2013, 22:51
by seaside
xx
Lost in the Jargon

Started by webwahm on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 18:23
by JayG

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 33 queries.