how much of your crop have you lost?

• 26 Replies

Ann

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007, 22:45 »
I've lost my melons which was disappointing as it was my first attempt at growning them.  Lots of tomatoes but they are outside and not rippening and everything else is very slow.

Beanzie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2007, 23:36 »
Not too bad in the West of Scotland
Ah well ! There is always next year !

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2007, 00:00 »
My first ever failure with runner beans, it looks like but most else seems OK where Ive managed to get it out.

Need to get some spuds up though. Fingers crossed Saturday will be dry. I've leeks to get out and more brassicas.

Loads of broad beans and peas to harvest as well. Think Mrs John will be drafted in.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

crowndale

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2007, 08:03 »
So far the only major casualties I have seem to be the maincrop spuds which are looking suspiciously like they have the dreaded blight, must go take a good look when the rain stops!  Everything else looks ok and fruit is growing great though the strawbs are not as sweet as they cold be, the raspberries are doing well for a first year in the ground and the peas are going wild!  The french beans though are being very slow but still mostly intact so there's hope yet.  Not bad for a garden that was under a foot of water last week.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Annie

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2007, 09:50 »
Will probably loose some potatoes but have more of a problem getting things to grow outside in the first place!

Little Miss Muffet

• calnetalk
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2007, 10:45 »
i have lost my swede,turnip and caulioflower row due to the slugs there was a thread some where on here  which i have been trying to find but its a great thread on slugs and different ways to get rid of them if any one can find this link i would be most gratefull.

diggerjoe

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2007, 13:01 »
Same here in Coventry - I've loads of stuff still in pots, nero cabbage , fennel, beans, seems i might be better off leaving them in there as the plot is still too muddy to walk on - thinking hard about raised beds next year. still we'll appreciate the sun when it does make an appearance. :)

splodger

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2007, 16:38 »
i feel for all you guys and gals that have had a hard time this year - i am feeling guilty that i haven,t lost anything - my sugar snaps were slow to get going - but are going great guns now.

i did protect everything though - to reduce rain and wind damage - and my slug population enjoy john smiths too much to bother my greens :lol:

i have made a hot bed outdoors (with a roof) so my cucumbers, melons and squash are doing well also - albeit a bit cramped.

the only thing lost - has been dahlias - they have eaten to the ground - but they are not crops - so i don't mind - and i've got hundreds of em

the summer is on it's way though folks - so don't despair  8)

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2007, 13:26 »
I have lost all cabbages, red cabbage and romanesco cauliflower.  My sugar snap peas were eaten as soon as they emerged.  One French bean out of about 40 sprouted then completely stopped.  I've got an occasional carrot and parsnip and my borlotti beans didn't appear.  The potatoes and onions don't seem too bad and my courgettes are holding in there although I have lost about 3 for no apparent reason.  Globe artichokes are growing although I've kept a lot of spares as the slugs seem to like them.  The chillis have just completely shut down.  The last time I checked the beetroot was doing alright but generally it is a bit of a disaster.  I've been growing a few things in my garden and these are doing far better than anything on my allotment.

wellingtons

No real casualties here ...
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2007, 13:51 »
Some things are looking a bit rain spattered and were in need of a bit of warm weather, but the weekend's sunshine has been very gratefully received.

Although I'm very close to the river, I do have the sandy soil that goes with it, so things are quite nicely balanced for me at the minute.

My green squashes could do with a bit more sunshine, as could my butternut squashes.  

But casualities are zero ... for now.

starmoonlilly

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2007, 22:02 »
First crop of lettuce got  hammered by slugs, as did the first lot of carrots....that was in April. Since then everything has done very well, my sympathies to everyone who has had flooding and a poor harvest or complete lack of.

Think back to Dec and Jan....more sun in those months. We sat outside in Tshirts more often than not. Maybe we should call global warming.....global changing
Life is for living.....permaculture is for life.

wildeone

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2007, 07:57 »
Mind you also lost about 50 parsnips and a row of chard bright lights but that was nowt to do with weather and more to do with random and unannounced activites carried out by well meaning relations.

i'm intrigued !!!

xx
planting main crop potatoes in same place as finished early crop?

Started by aejonm on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 16, 2021, 11:41
by al78
xx
Lost almost everything :(

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 11, 2013, 22:51
by seaside
xx
lost veg

Started by big green bloke on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 09, 2011, 22:52
by solway cropper
xx
Lost my enthusiasm

Started by HLS on Grow Your Own

48 Replies
Last post October 21, 2010, 15:30
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 39 queries.