Golden Polish is not well

• 18 Replies

catgoodyear

Golden Polish is not well
« on: September 08, 2010, 16:17 »
Please help.  We have two wonderful "domesticated" polish hens.  We hatched them from eggs, snuggle with them daily, and consider them as pets.  They live a happy free range, quiet life with my family.  Unfortunately, yesterday, a huge dog came for a visit and charged the hens.  The dog's owner let him off his leash, without our permission and we are more than angry.  Our golden polish hen had a siezure, from the extreme stress event.  Now, she is not acting right.  She is very unsteady, seems hungry but can't eat or drink properly (I'm hand feeding and using an eye dropper), and twiches non-stop.  I think she has had a stroke. 

I talked to the exotic animal vet, and she said all I can do is put her in a quiet place and continue to encourage food and water intake.  Right now, my sweet bird is snuggled in a box, on a heating pad in the family room. 

Does anyone have any other advice?  It will devastate our family to loose her, not to mention it will devestate her life buddy and best friend, our white crested polish hen.  The two of them are bonded beyond belief, and the other one appears so sad. 

Please help.   :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Golden Polish is not well
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 18:02 »
your vet is right - warmth and quiet is what is needed for her - if you feel she or her bessie mate are lonely could you make room for them both indoors? It may help her recover quicker having her friend there. Keep up the tlc - you are doing everything right  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

NormandyMary

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 18:16 »
I agree with Joyfull. I know from very bitter experience that stress can make them for poorly, and that peace and quiet with lots of small treats is the answer. I also am convinced that being alone can stress them more, and that the "well" chook can make a good nursemaid.

BL**DY DOGS.

Did the dog belong to a friend of yours? If so, that friend will be liable for any future vet bills you may have as a result of this.

I wish you all the luck in the world with you little girl.

Jeanette

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 18:22 »
It seams like she could not be in better hands i do hope that she gets well soon. Please keep us posted with any news.

bantam novice

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 19:10 »
Good Luck from me too  :(
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

catgoodyear

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 19:15 »
Thank you for all your thoughts and well wishes.

You won't believe it when I tell you that the Beastly Dog is my in-law's.  He is an aggressive horrible monster and we have never permitted him in or near our house.  Yesterday, they decided to take matters into their own hands.  So....a Family Saga has begun.

Jeanette

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 08:50 »
Give me my animals any day rather than my in laws.

Jae Dawn

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 10:14 »
  I hope she starts feeling better but Joyful is right.  You might want to bring her friend in with her I know when my Polish hen got ill she was pushed to eat by her two friends, think that was the main reason she even ended up living.  Personally think Polish chickens act a bit differently towards each other when they are ill. 

Shame your in-laws can't put their feet in your shoes if there was a giant chicken that went for their dog and scared it sh**less I am guessing they would understand!  Sad that they don't get that!  Sorry my thoughts are with you ....

NormandyMary

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 10:24 »
How is you baby girl today catgoodyear?

Beano

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 11:49 »
Hi, it sounds like your lovely hen is getting feistier which is a good sign.
Her mate with her in sight is a good idea. When our Poppy was ill and I put her in sight of the others, you could visibly see her perk up.
Do'nt start me on irresponsible  dog owners!!
El.

catgoodyear

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 15:17 »
So, I took everyone's advice and put my sweet golden polish, Violet,  back outside with her best friend.  I hand fed her wheat bread soaked in nutrient water...the kind we gave when they were just baby chicks.  I spent most of the day with her, holding her, stroking her, feeding her, and helping her walk straight, when she wanted to walk at all. 

Interestingly, Viva, the white crested polish best friend, spent the entire day right with us.  And not fussy, or irritable.  She sat wherever Violet was, right there showing her love and support.  It was pretty cool to see.

Later in the day, I let the two of them try to go free ranging and Viva was patient and kind, walking to their favorite shady spot.  Then, they laid there for several hours together and seemed very content. 

It took two attempt for Violet to mount her perch last night.  The first one turned into a sad sommersault of lost balance.  But, bless her, she tried again and got up there. 

This morning, I had to hand feed her again, as she doesn't seem to have the pecking thing down.  I think she lost some vision in the stroke.  She moves her head funny, and when I hand feed her, she almost never gets the item on the ifrst attempt.

Anyway, that's the update.  I'm going to continue to tend to her, and let Viva help with her polish love!

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 15:48 »
it sounds like the care from you and Viva will sort Violet out, it's just a case of time and tlc, fingers crossed xx

NormandyMary

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 17:03 »
Aaah. Fingers still crossed for her, glad her friend is giving her the will to pull through. With your loving care, Im sure she will make it.
Good Luck!!!!

bantam novice

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 20:32 »
good luck from me too  :).  Keep us posted

joyfull

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 08:11 »
don't think my 2 dogs would let you in our house without chewing your legs off first  :lol:
Your dog is obviously more people friendly (mine besides being pets are aslo guard dogs - very big dogs - a neapolitan mastiff and a new foundland /GSD cross). Nice idea though  :)

xx
golden pheasants

Started by reddragon on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 11, 2009, 18:52
by Ice
xx
Golden pencilled hamburgs

Started by Craigx on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 25, 2012, 11:45
by Craigx
xx
golden maran bantams

Started by ingledew on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post January 15, 2009, 06:22
by ingledew
xx
B****** fox or rat got the 2 polish chucks

Started by slowef on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post January 15, 2008, 23:40
by Fat Hen

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 34 queries.