best cucumber variety to grow

• 15 Replies

Grubbypaws

best cucumber variety to grow
« on: June 28, 2011, 17:06 »
I know that it is too late this year but I cant help plan ahead  ::)

Which is the best cucumber variety to grow in my new greenhouse?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: best cucumber variety to grow
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 17:24 »

Which is the best cucumber variety to grow in my new greenhouse?
any variety that will actually live  :mad:

I'm not really a bitter and twisted person
but they die for any reason you could think of  :(

too hot, too cold, soil too wet or too dry, a draught, air too humid or too dry......catch my drift :nowink:

Springlands

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 08:39 »
Hi Grubbypaws - I can sympathize with MOS. Four of my five cuke plants died on me however if you can get them to grow the taste is wonderful. I think my plants died because I started them too early and they just did not like the very cold spell that we had in May. My fifth plant is doing well and lots of cukes are merrily growing. For the greenhouse I normally grow some of the "mini munch" variety from Marshalls which are smaller than the normal cukes and I have in fact started to grow some more plants just to see what will happen

My main advice would be not to start the plants too early, do not over water and make sure the atmosphere is not too dry. You are probably too late now for this year but certainly have a go next year. Then you can join the rest of us complaining about how difficult it is to grow cukes.  :lol: :lol:

Debz

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 09:15 »
I have had my first home grown cucumber this weekend.  I bought the plant at the garden centre and it is a lunchbox cucumber so they are about the length of my finger but really tasty.  I got little ones because my little boy (22 months) loves to eat cucumber.  I may try others next year.

stompy

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 09:47 »
I grew 2 this year both Marketmoor outdoor variety, i prefere these to the indoor as i feel they taste better.

I grow them in the greenhouse as they usually do better, never had a problem untill this year.

I planted 2........... 1 died imediately, the other grew ok upto 18inch tall and has now stopped and the leaves are starting to yellow, so i feel the inevitable is about to happen but i will keep watering as normal and hope.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 09:56 »
We grew Marketmore last year and ended up having to put them indoors to live. Good crop of lovely flavoured cucumbers. We have one of them this year and a couple of Crystal Lemon plants both of which are forming abundant round fruits! I hope to be sampling these within the next few days. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 10:38 »
How big do cucumber plants grow? I am limited to a height of 104cm/ 41" max.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 10:44 »
That's not a lot of height to play with. They do spread, how far could you let one spread out the way if you haven't got the height?

stompy

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 11:06 »
They can be trailed along the floor too, depending on variety.

My dad grew marketmoor outside a few years ago and let them trail like squashes.
Fruited well but only grew to about 8inch long and 1 1/2inch thick, tastey though.

Elaine G

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 23:51 »
I have grown cucino for the first time this year (1st year with a greenhouse) Seeds are not cheap but got them with T&M voucher  :lol:
lovely taste and have just got to the 'giving away' stage.

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 13:20 »
I like Cucino too. They are mini cues, lovely and crunchy, prolific but the plant is small so it's not rampaging all over the greenhouse. They fruit early too! 

The seed is expensive, but cheaper if you get it via the lotty seed scheme, eg NSALG with Kings Seeds

Headgardener22

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 17:59 »
I've always grown Burpless Tasty Green. Their a bit spiky but they will grow indoors and outdoors. I put one plant in a 15 inch pot and fill it with growbag compost. I plant them inside a small bottomless pot because they easily rot off if the base of the stem gets watered. So I water them on the outside of the pot. The plant usually grows up in the corner, and across the ridge to the doorway of a 6ftx8ft greenhouse and gives me 10-20 cues.

LilacSandy

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 19:47 »
So many of my Crystal Lemon plants germinated and grew on that I am haing to put some in the lotty ( I cannot bear to throw any plant away).  All my Marketmore died this year with the exception of one weedy plant.

fibilou

• Experienced Member
  • I love life !!
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 21:25 »
I love Beth Alpha. Crops really well and the cucumbers are small and tasty, the ideal size to pack a whole one in a lunchbox. If I could only choose 1 type of cue I would chose this one
Happy, hippy mama with a love of baking, gardening and cake decorating

Springlands

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 07:29 »
I love Beth Alpha. Crops really well and the cucumbers are small and tasty, the ideal size to pack a whole one in a lunchbox. If I could only choose 1 type of cue I would chose this one

I have never heard of Beth Alpha before - had to google them. I think I will try them next year.  :)

clip
advice needed on growing outdoor variety of cucumber inside a polytunnel

Started by Hoopman on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post June 13, 2015, 10:15
by 3759allen
xx
Cucumber problem

Started by Topscaff on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post July 21, 2016, 10:25
by adri123
clip
Cucumber Disease

Started by argonaut on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

8 Replies
Last post July 17, 2020, 14:40
by JayG
xx
cucumber still fruiting...

Started by lazza on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post October 17, 2011, 20:48
by Trillium

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 36 queries.