Chatting > Chatting on the Plot

Literary Corner

(1/11) > >>

mumofstig:
With the change of season upon us, I thought this might interest some of us, especially through the colder months, when there isn't much gardening going on.
Tell us about your favourite books, new ones you have just bought to read, quotes, poetry (yours or published) you get the picture  :)

Your starter for 10 which seems apt here. (Remember Bamber Gascoigne?)

"The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid."
Jane Austen - Northanger Abbey.

Over to you...

MrsPea:
 What a lovely idea, Well my husband unbeknown to me got me 'In the shadow of the rising sun' by Olga Henderson.  Surviving A Prisoner of war Childhood. A very good read i can not leave it alone.
 Appartently she was on the One Show sometime this year, hubby new i liked those sort of books, i enjoyed
 Ann Frank as well.

Growster...:
Chatting with Mrs Growster earlier this year, 'A town like Alice' by Nevil Shute was mentioned several times as one of our favourite books, and indeed, a quick foray into 'World of Books' and 'Music Magpie' found a copy, and while we were on, I selected a few more for good measure, they were going to cost peanuts!

We both went through 'A town like Alice' in a few days, and were hooked - for the second time!

I first read the story in exactly one day, as I'd refused to move an inch in bed - except for mercy visits - to avoid the impending nasties from mumps! I'd never been so absorbed in a book that quickly before!

The next ones by Nevil Shute have just got better and better, with 'Round the bend' being excellent,'The Far Country' turning out to be a fantastic, emotional yarn, and recently, I finished 'Trustee from the Toolroom', which in my opinion must be one of the best books I've ever read! I was even dreaming about the plot during the only night between starting and finishing the story, and while there was the lingering considered inkling of the outcome, there were so many surprises in the second half that I just couldn't put it down!

I think I've got three more before I've read the lot...

Goosegirl:
Looking through my "library" and not including garden books, I have decided to choose Winnie the Pooh for starters. Loved it as a child but, on reading it again not long ago, it's quite deep and there's more to it than one would have realised in earlier years. Poor morose Eeyore, but look how his friends rally round him when his tail comes off. They just love him for what he is. A lesson to be learnt in life. Hunting the Woozle is just a supreme example of two pals doing something so silly but in total innocence at the same time. How often have we been there, well, I think I'm near or at the front of the queue!  :lol:

I've also read the book about Spinalonga the leper colony which I have visited twice and it is a beautiful yet wistful place as so well portrayed in the book.

Goosegirl:
MOS - fabulous choice of topic and I promise not to do too many replies!  :nowink: Here's my poem about our dear late cat called Spikey.

"Spikey's a cat. A dog he's not.
He hunts all night then he sleeps a lot.

Spikey's a tom because he's male.
He is twelve and so is his tail.

Spikey is big. He's got big claws.
He sticks them out of the end of his paws.

Spikey is black. His eyes are yellow.
He really is a splendid fellow."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version