Nostalgic Christmas food

• 26 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Nostalgic Christmas food
« on: December 07, 2021, 20:37 »
We have loads of it at work - Matchmakers, After Eight Mints, even those horrible sugar coated fruit jellies that my mum used to insist on having, plus blast from the past drinks like Babycham to wash it down.  Isn’t it funny how we all get sentimental over these things and feel we have to buy them every year. 

Our house cannot function over Christmas unless OH has one of those big boxes of wine gums by his side and a preferably a box of fudge to keep it company.  I’m happier with a box of Lindor, especially the black wrapper ones and a bottle of fizz  :D

What’s your must have ? 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Nostalgic Christmas food
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2021, 20:46 »
A box of chocolate brazils is on my must-have list along with a bottle of Baileys  :lol:

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 20:53 »
1. Pate by the bucket load
2. Bottle of port
3. Bottle of pricey single malt (normally my Christmas present)

Christine

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 21:09 »
What’s your must have ?
Someone else to wash up and clear up else it'll be beans on toast with a spring of holly on top.  :D

AndyRVTR

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 22:16 »
Thorntons original toffee for me!

perris

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2021, 05:22 »
Advocaat, dates, and satsumas are legacies of Christmas past here. They're actually all delicious, so I don't know why we don't eat them more often!

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2021, 05:42 »
Chocolate orange here...

The nuts we get usually finish up over the wall for the squirrells around March!

GraciesGran

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2021, 10:36 »
Not a lover of Advocaat but my mum was and it brings back memories.  Dates and satsumas are a must but only but them at Christmas.  Also buy a bottle of sherry which as my sister would tell you brings back memories of mum after 3 sherries tipping the sprouts in the washing up water - kettle of boiling water to rinse them off and no one knew. Who needs the perfect Christmas?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2021, 12:04 »
Food-wise, it's (gammon) ham sandwiches for Christmas Day breakfast - it was an expensive luxury when we were kids and despite it being much cheaper now I still insist on keeping the tradition going.

Drinks-wise, we each had a tiny liqueur glass with a small quantity of creme de menthe after Christmas dinner - I can still remember the powerful peppermint flavour, the wonderful slightly tipsy feeling, and the long wait until the next Christmas before our next alcoholic beverage!  :ohmy:

(Needless to say the interval between alcoholic beverages has decreased significantly over the years!  :lol:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2021, 16:37 »
Thinking about Christmases past, I can relate to most of these posts  :)

jaydig

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2021, 16:56 »
The one thing that sticks in my mind from Christmases past is the smell of proper, dirty celery. We only ever had it then, and it was bought fresh and unwashed and the scent of it was something we never get these days unless you are clever enough to be able to grow your own.  My grandad's brother lived by a canal and he grew the best celery I've ever tasted and it was so tender that it almost snapped at a touch. That and clementines, again a treat only for Christmas.
The scent of pine from the Christmas tree because back then most of them were real, until the time we all moved on to those awful silver tinsel things, brings back many memories.

rowlandwells

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2021, 17:02 »
drinks wise well I like a drop of CBL Export not a lot I'm not a spirit drinker but a glass of Guinness goes down nicely and I to do like my chocolate Brazils my wife would eat chocolate till the cows come home as well as a tine of toffies

we also have pork pie for Christmas breakfast this has been a family tradition  carried on for years from my grandmothers days and if we stay at home for Christmas  I like to make my own stuffing again from my grandmothers recipe

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2021, 08:36 »
Fruitcake.
Not the ready-made type from the store (horrid), but a proper one, made at home, aged for a month with a couple of shots of rum or whiskey added during aging, and topped off once a week or so.

I have a good recipe from my mom, but don't make it because in our house, I would be the only one eating it.  One son hates fruit, Mrs. Subversive can't have the sugar, older son might eat some when visiting but mostly it would be me (too many calories).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 08:52 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2021, 12:22 »
My mum's breadcrumb and thyme stuffing balls, those horrible sugar-coated jelly things I always got a box of as a present (the name's on the tip of my tongue), Christmas cake with almond icing, a clementine in my Christmas stocking and a big box of Bassett's liquorice assortment.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2021, 15:27 »
My mum's breadcrumb and thyme stuffing balls, those horrible sugar-coated jelly things I always got a box of as a present (the name's on the tip of my tongue), Christmas cake with almond icing, a clementine in my Christmas stocking and a big box of Bassett's liquorice assortment.

Newberry Fruits  ??    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

xx
Messed about with Christmas food

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

26 Replies
Last post December 12, 2020, 05:23
by Growster...
clip
My food is looking at me!

Started by DanielCoffey on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post April 06, 2020, 14:03
by DanielCoffey
xx
My Christmas is now over

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post April 07, 2019, 13:37
by mumofstig
xx
My Christmas Day was certainly Different ......

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post December 26, 2019, 17:19
by Growster...

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 52 queries.