Raised Beds

• 28 Replies

Shieldsy

Raised Beds
« on: February 29, 2012, 08:15 »
Hi all,

I am getting a delivery of scaffold planks today, the majority being 13ft long, so I can push ahead and start the raised beds which I can't wait to get stuck into but has anyone got any 'best practices' to follow on construction? IE What screws are best, what size corner posts (And any good suppliers?), what is the optimum size for a raised bed (Is 7.5ft by 4ft too big?), as well as screws should/do I need corner braces etc

Any help and knowledge appreciated before I do what I normally do and get cracking and then end up with a creation only I could love :-)

Many thanks,

Al

Gwiz

Re: Raised Beds
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 08:24 »
I don't know about others, but I gave the wood for my raised beds a good couple of coats of the green cuprinol after they were cut to size. I used ordinary 4" nails ('cos I had loads) and 2" square corner posts.
I did pre-drill the holes before I hammered the nails in, just to prevent splitting.
7 by 4 seems to be a reasonable size for a bed as you can easily reach in from both sides.
Don't forget to leave a good sized path between the beds so you can get a barrow down them.
Raised beds take a surprising amount of soil to fill up. We filled ours half way knowing that we would be topping them up each year with manure and so on.

jrko

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 10:20 »
I would say length of bed is not as important as width.  You need to be able to reach the middle of the bed from either side.  Mine are 5ft because I'm a jolly green giant.

I dont treat my boards.  They are pretty well weathered and spend endless weeks sat in piles in the rain at the scaffold yard.  One of my neighbours doesn't treat and has 5yr beds with no serious rot.

I use decking screw for everything.  They don't bend, are treated and come out easily after years.

On paths I have my own ideas.  The norm is paths you can get a wheelbarrow down.  My thinking is that there is not much that I cant carry the length of my bed from a wheelbarrow on the central path.  My lovely neat neighbours have big paths all around their beds.  I measured and they have about 20% MORE path than bed which I consider a waste of precious ground.  I say have a big central path and smaller footpaths between beds.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 10:25 by jrko »
Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

PlotlinesTim

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 11:09 »
On paths I have my own ideas.  The norm is paths you can get a wheelbarrow down.  My thinking is that there is not much that I cant carry the length of my bed from a wheelbarrow on the central path.  My lovely neat neighbours have big paths all around their beds.  I measured and they have about 20% MORE path than bed which I consider a waste of precious ground.  I say have a big central path and smaller footpaths between beds.

That's been our approach too.

We've also gone for 13ft long beds, to reduce the amount of sawing needed (so we only need to saw shorter pieces for the ends). Whether that would work for you will depend on your plot size; ours is ~30ft wide, so we have a path up the middle with one long bed on either side.

Shieldsy

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 11:18 »
Plot size wise I am fine but was worried that if I left them at 13ft they may bow in the middle unless pegged at regular intervals?

What size corner stakes/wooden poles have people used or on a 7.5ft bed is centre staking and corner posts not needed?

Thanks for your replies thus far......

Al

Gwiz

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 12:32 »
I'd personally (and have) gone for shorter beds because I'm Idle. The thing you want is always on the other side of the bed. Shorter beds mean I don't have to walk so far.
I understand fully the desire not to waste space on paths, but I've found that I usually end up with a bit of spare ground anyway so, for me, it hasn't become a problem so far.
Each to his own........ :)

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 16:29 »
I stayed with 4' x 8' beds because that's the most economical and common size of lumber, and the width is easy for me to reach. Length is fine too, though I have made a few 4' x 4' beds when I got hold of some free pieces that length and those are a good size as well, particularly for small quantity crops that I grow. I got hold of some 4'x12' lumber but I'll cut those down to either a 4 and 8 or two 6's. 12' is just too long to walk around.

I went the longer route of oil paint priming then oil painting my beds, mostly for looks (corner lot) and durability. I also used outdoor deck screws, - 2-1/2" ones that I bought cheaper by the pound than the packet and predrilled the holes. I'd used nails in the past but they tended to pop out over the years. Nothing budges screws and I hate repeating any work (call me lazy).

I spaced my beds just wide enough for the lawn tractor to pass through. The bed bases have a strip of membrane around all edges then some pea gravel on top and against the boards to stop weeds against the edges (and no strimming!)

jrko

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 18:05 »
Plot size wise I am fine but was worried that if I left them at 13ft they may bow in the middle unless pegged at regular intervals?

What size corner stakes/wooden poles have people used or on a 7.5ft bed is centre staking and corner posts not needed?

My sight is on a hill with the slope running corner to corner :PI across my plot so my paths are actually trenches on one side to level it out.

I use about 2ft of wood with an angled point cut to it for driving into the ground and I use 3 per 13ft side.  I then use chalk from the graves (Tea for the diggers/grounds  staff get me favours :D) to put a 2-3 inch layer in the path/trench for drainage. 

I know some drive a hole with a metal bar and then push the stake in but by driving in the stake and then attaching the board I get a sturdy bed.

Wavertree Red

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 19:35 »
These are my raised beds.  Gone from 4 to 8 this year, about a quarter of the plot. 

I used scaffold boards to make 8x4 (£2.50 for 8ft board) beds.  I basically use inexpensive fence stain for the outside of the baords - I don't touch the inside.  When they're not in use I bring the soil to the centre to stop the dampness rotting them.  I use good, thin, 5" screws, but use a pilot hole or you'll struggle.

This year I've made four cages from reclaimed 2x2 from the school next door that was being pulled down.  I've hinged them on one side and have yet to fit Veggiemesh and butterfly nettings.  Oh and I've also got to attach a support for the hoops.

The path was done by laying a weed membrane and then covering with tree bark that the council had kindly dumped at the plot.

Definately agree with the above that they take a LOT more soil than you think.  The pictures only show them half full.  I used a blend of top soil from an unused part of the plot, home made compost and a lot of bought in compost.  Did the treat last year.

Well I hope it gave you an idea or two anyway  :)

I said a Keith Richards not a Cliff Richard..................

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 22:57 »
My 13ft 2 plank high raised beds in the polytunnel did bend and needed more than just corner posts - I ended up putting 2 extra posts in 1/3 and 2/3 way down - now they are fine. I used decking screws mostly, but where I used nails the planks have separated a bit from the posts - so will use decking screws from now on.
My maths shows that bird is equal to or greater than the word...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 07:21 »
Your plot looks good Wavertree  :D

I like your lids which will have the mesh attached over the blue hoops. Moving them from year to year would not be too difficult.
What have you got inside the hoops to support them?

One day when Mr Sunny has built the supports for the loganberries nd blackberries, replaced a tree which turned out to be a dud with the one in a pot in the garden, built that pergola at the end of the plot, planted out the hazels and cotoneaster on the back verge and (prioroty) helped me move the bean frame, I shall mention this to him.

It's on the list now!!!

(Oh, and created a small flower bed down one edge of the plot)

Thanks for the idea - rather good imho  :D :D :D

PS Our beds are 1.2m by 2.4 m. Guess how long the planks were?  :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

amj84

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 09:00 »
Hi,

I have just embarked on the same project.  I have used reclaimed timbers from a roof so as they were previously untreated wanted to ensure I got a good few years ou of them.

I used a culprinol wood preserver which is water based.  You need two coats and when dry water literally rolls off.  I have however had to line the inside of the bed with polythene as I don’t want the preserver to contaminate the soil.

I used decking corner brackets to hold them together and so far so good I am very pleased with the result.  If I get time I will try and post a picture of my first one.

I do have a question for everyone........I have a lot more beds still to do but am fast running out of soil any suggestions where I might be able to pick some up for free? I live in the Bristol area and I don't really want to have to buy in expensive soil!!

Many thanks

Andy

Wavertree Red

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 14:32 »
Your plot looks good Wavertree  :D

I like your lids which will have the mesh attached over the blue hoops. Moving them from year to year would not be too difficult.
What have you got inside the hoops to support them?

One day when Mr Sunny has built the supports for the loganberries nd blackberries, replaced a tree which turned out to be a dud with the one in a pot in the garden, built that pergola at the end of the plot, planted out the hazels and cotoneaster on the back verge and (prioroty) helped me move the bean frame, I shall mention this to him.

It's on the list now!!!

(Oh, and created a small flower bed down one edge of the plot)

Thanks for the idea - rather good imho  :D :D :D

PS Our beds are 1.2m by 2.4 m. Guess how long the planks were?  :lol:

Cheers. I dont want to cut another piece of timber ever again. I feel broken  :).

The design is basically a 'Geoff Hamilton' cloche, see here http://igrowveg.com/2009/05/how-to-build-your-own-geoff-hamilton-cloche/.  The baton on the top gives the cages their rigidity.  I attached them today.

Shieldsy

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 07:11 »
Thanks for all your replies thus far.

The boards have now arrived but as I am away this weekend the project KO is going to have to wait until next weekend. Itchy feet isn't the word!!

Sounds like decking screws are the way to go with a support approx 3ft along a length of board. Supportinf stakes also in each corner.

Will be making each one two planks high and do have some used compost, new compost etc but will obviously need a load more as will be maing approx 6-8 beds so does anyone know any good soil/compost companies with reasonable costs.

Thanks again everyone

Al

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 07:27 »
Our raised beds were fairly flat inside until recently (two years later)

Some of them, due to the volume of stones removed, were probably best described as sunken.

Now though, thanks to masses of home made compost, spent growbags from home etc they are filling up nicely  :D

xx
raised beds

Started by greenfingered on Design and Construction

18 Replies
Last post September 26, 2007, 13:16
by piskieinboots
xx
Raised beds

Started by Rangerkris on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2009, 11:31
by Rangerkris
xx
raised beds

Started by boosmummy on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post September 26, 2011, 19:55
by Growster...
xx
Raised beds

Started by muckyboots on Design and Construction

14 Replies
Last post October 16, 2014, 18:38
by LotuSeed

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 39 queries.