Choosing a coop

• 3 Replies

pennynctwarrell

Choosing a coop
« on: July 27, 2020, 20:00 »
Hello.  First timer here.  Would really appreciate feedback on our chosen coop before we actually splash out. It is the Dorset by chicken coops direct. We chose it due to ease of cleaning, but think that we will make an onduline roof for it instead of using the felt one that it comes with.  Would really appreciate any comments.

new-dorset6.jpg

samuria

• Experienced Member
Re: Choosing a coop
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 20:17 »
i bought a very large one like your coop, it was for my ferrets.
the tray for collecting the poop was useless very thin metal which goes rusty very quickly.
that was the first thing i changed, these i think are made in china and the roof wood was also changed because it was so thin. your choice might be different but looks the same as my purchase.
have you seen it in the flesh.....

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 11:27 »
John has a review for this coop on the main site that you might be interested in.

https://www.chickens.allotment-garden.org/poultry-housing/raised-chicken-coop-6-hens-reviewed/

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 17:14 »
My 5 hens are in a secure onduline roofed run, with a homemade house inside but I’m about to take the house away & cover the weldmesh sides with permanently attached corrugated plastic around the bottom half  & removable corrugated plastic on the top that will be attached through the worst of the winter weather. The hens will have a perch within the run for night time roosting. So it might be that you decide not to provide a house. I’m doing this on the advice of an experienced hen keeper on my allotment site who has this type of set up, he advises the chickens are healthier, there’s less pecking for top hen place etc & less health issues.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Choosing new bantam

Started by Redgoat on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 12, 2014, 21:19
by spud
xx
Choosing a POL bird

Started by beulah59 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 09, 2009, 20:19
by beulah59
xx
Choosing Chooks?

Started by mickwood on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 25, 2008, 17:26
by pushrod
xx
Choosing chickens and their age

Started by RuthG on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 18, 2008, 23:32
by nettynoodles1

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 41 queries.