Plum tree help please.

• 4 Replies

Dabhand

Plum tree help please.
« on: October 12, 2009, 12:53 »
Hello all,

My mum very kindly gave us some money for our wedding anniversary and we have decided to buy a Plum tree for the garden.   Mum's name is Marjorie so my obvious choice is Marjorie's Seedling.  I have read it's a good cropper and fairly disease free.  My dilema is...
I wanted to buy it through the shopping pages to support the sponsors of this web site but I can't find it anywhere. Anyone know how to search better through the sponsors ? On other sites I have looked at I have a choice of St. Julien root stock or Pixie, they seem to grow to the same heights which is confusing so which is the best one to go for?  Also tree or bush ? Bare or container? Which is better?  Any other tips on growing a plum tree as this one is going to be special as mum is quite poorly. 

Many thanks

RichardA

Re: Plum tree help please.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 13:14 »
Ken Muir catalogue page 16 lists Marjorie's seedling. Webpage is www.kenmuir.co.uk. Not the cheapest at £21.75 but very very good to deal with. they use St Julien "A" stock and say bushes will make 12 to 15 feet. They sell as bare rooted in late Autumn so order now.
Also my late mother's name so go for it.
R

Dabhand

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 17:51 »
Thanks Richard, that's very helpful, I will take a look. 

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 03:43 »
Hope you get your plum tree, Dawn. It's a nice gesture, one you'd probably like in place before she gets worse.

Dabhand

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 22:06 »
Thanks Trillium, I am going to order one from Ken Muir (Thanks Richard) ready for delivery when available which I think is November.  Mum has always been a good 'natural' gardener and I have learned a lot from her without actually realising it.. Till now...  As soon as it arrives we will have her over for afternoon tea (how very civilised  :) and show her, she will be very proud.  I'll take a pic when it's planted to show everyone.

xx
Plum tree

Started by Wilf on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 26, 2021, 20:26
by Wilf
xx
Shall I cut down the plum tree?

Started by Comfr3y on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 21, 2014, 21:24
by Comfr3y
xx
Old plum tree

Started by Elm street on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 05, 2014, 17:10
by Elm street
xx
plum tree

Started by bailey on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2009, 23:31
by peterjf

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 38 queries.