Advice on sweetest carrot variety

• 4 Replies

Goosegirl

Advice on sweetest carrot variety
« on: October 11, 2009, 16:54 »
It's only this last two years that I have been able to grow carrots successfully and have used stump rooted Nantes type but they always look pale and have a slightly bitter taste. I use raised beds and have lightened my heavy silty soil with gritty top soil plus my own compost and use a four year rotation system. The paleness I put down to a lack of caretinoids but I don't know why. What varieties and feeding programme would you recommend to get a lovely, deep red and sweet carrot?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
Re: Advice on sweetest carrot variety
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 20:45 »
Hi, i've tried the early varieties and havn't been impressed so i grow an early sowing of Chantenay an early main crop under cloches and had good results, a good carrot with good flavour. For main crop i grow Autumn king you can't beat it if you cover them from sowing with a fine mesh you can forget about carrot fly.

Clover

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 09:33 »
Hi Goosegirl

I'm not an expert - only been growing carrots for 2 years too, but with success, mainly so thought I'd give it a shot seeing as you didn't get many answers.

Mainly wanted to say I came across someone on another forum complaining about bitter carrots and the responses suggested it may be a duff packet of seed that had accidentally crossed with wild carrots - easily done apparently and then they would taste bitter.  I was wondering if you're talking about the same packet of seed or whether you've tried different ones.

I've found some carrots far more vigorous than others - this is my favourite so far "Lisse de Meaux" and for me it's exactly as they describe. I'd say - dense, sweet, dark flesh - good for long cooking.
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/carrots.html

I don't like Nantes too much.  I have found it very pale and mild in comparison.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 16:57 »
Many thanks Jay Dubya and Clover - and I thought it was me! Will try all three and get my OH to choose - thanks xxx

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 19:52 »
Hi, i had a thread on bitter tasting swedes ( see list ) through lack of water, the same can happen to carrots so make sure you keep your bed moist.

xx
Peas - which variety is the sweetest?

Started by Middlesexbloke on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 05, 2014, 21:20
by 3 allotments
xx
sweetest carrot

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 01:11
by SUTTY1
xx
Pea variety advice sought please

Started by Optimistic Gardener on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 09, 2012, 19:20
by Totty
xx
Lettuce: winter variety advice

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 02, 2008, 12:47
by paintedlady

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 34 queries.