toilets

• 3 Replies

noshed

toilets
« on: March 14, 2006, 13:49 »
How usual is it to have toilets on allotment sites? It seems a bit primitive not having any facilities - is this a hangover from when it was mainly men on allotments? I was thinking of raising it with our committee - has anyone any experience of a site with toilets? Presumably there's maintenance and cleaning overheads which might put the council off.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
toilets
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 16:13 »
All of our area sites have loos except  ours and maybe Ford Lane where it got burnt down!

I think it's a very good idea as women aren't quite as adaptable when it comes to filling a bottle of compost activator!

Some are just chemical WCs  which need emptying and some are connected to the main drains. Whatever you go for there is the question of who is esponsible for keeping it in good order.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
toilets
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 17:00 »
Our allotment doesn't have any of their own but we're allowed to use the ones at the nearby golfing hut in the sports centre. It's a bit of a trek depending on where your plot is but at least it's something if you don't have a shed and are female!
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
toilets
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 17:16 »
So, there I am one evening, just me  on the entire site and I needed to go. So I thought, 'direct delivery to the compost heap'. Then I suddenly realised that there are a number of houses that overlook the site from their upstairs windows...
As they say, I've started so I'll finish. Spent the next half hour waiting for the police to arrive to arrest the allotment flasher!

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 38 queries.