Chinese Translations

• 12 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Chinese Translations
« on: March 18, 2020, 13:44 »
I had a device arrive today that's supposed to help people with back problems. Made in China, of course. I'm a bit confused by this instruction..

Do not use malignant tumours within 20 minutes after meals.

I wonder what the original said!!
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

GraciesGran

Re: Chinese Translations
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 19:37 »
That should read drink bottle of red wine before.you do anything.......

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 20:32 »
Mrs Growster bought me an electric bike a couple of years ago, and it was from China...

It's been a fabulous machine, full of well-made gadgetry, with no problems, but I sometimes wish I could understand a word of the instructions...

TonyB.

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 18:20 »
I have always had a sneaking suspicion that all instructions for products from the far east are first translated into Swahili (or some other language that has no words for modern inventions) then translated to German which is very specific then translated into English by someone who has learnt the language from watching American films.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 19:02 »
I have always had a sneaking suspicion that all instructions for products from the far east are first translated into Swahili (or some other language that has no words for modern inventions) then translated to German which is very specific then translated into English by someone who has learnt the language from watching American films.
I'm sure Yoda is involved somewhere in the process :)

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 19:19 »
There's no need to bring a delivery firm into this John...

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 19:44 »
There's no need to bring a delivery firm into this John...
Pacels bringing you we are, Young Growster :)

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 20:22 »
But the delivery late will be.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 01:21 by Plot 1 Problems »

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 23:12 »
I don't wish to be a killjoy, but any electronic item from china (or anywhere else tbh) which cannot invest in correct English instructions need to be handled with caution. 

im not saying don't use it, but PLEASE don't leave it plugged in unattended. (this advice also goes to all those who buy cheap replacement chargers for their devices ). does anyone remember when those 'hoverboards' that all the kids were into were banned as they were catching fire?  airlines banned then from being shipped and the fad died a death.

I travel abroad for a living and have bought many things from china and other countries over the years but I always have an eye on them when I charge or use them and for a period of time after I unplug them too.  I have personally never had an issue but know many who have.

I don't want to scare you, but just be aware that sometimes, there is a risk when not buying a reputable, recognised global brand.

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 14:55 »
Mods. This is just a little bit of GG fun in a gloomy time so please let me know if you wish to delete it or just take it as such, and there is certainly no disrespect for those who do their best to write these manuals. Actually, I'd dearly love to learn how to write Chinese letters so that may be something I could do whilst trying to stay indoors.

I'm so not conversant with the Chinese language so I thought I'd post the original letters with spaces just to see what others make of them.

饭 后 20 分钟 内 请 勿 使 用 恶 性肿 瘤。

I was happily sat at my pc to translate the instructions into English when the doorbell rang. I spent 20 minutes trying to explain why I didn't want the latest bird feeder so I came in and shut all the curtains, the Venetian blinds and locked all the windows and I was rather annoyed when I discovered a broken pane of glass so I went on my app only to find I had no signal. I suddenly found I had some spare time create a shopping trolley where the wheels don't take you sideways from where you want to go.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2020, 17:39 »
It's actually a reference to an oncology treatment, GG, and not at all pleasant..:0(

I still have the instructions of one of those marble slides, where you have to construct a huge framework of runways, then sit back and watch said ball bearings skitter all over the floor, hurting several people in the process.

As they're all in Chinese, I'm waiting for the day that it gets completed after five years! A Daught gave it to me instead of a bottle of malt...

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2020, 12:07 »
That reminds me of a game I used to play called Bagatelle. It consisted of a lovely mahogany board with several inserted strips of wood placed at various angles, a wooden cue and several ball bearings.

As for your reading this as an oncology treatment, what were you drinking when you posted? 

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2020, 15:17 »
That reminds me of a game I used to play called Bagatelle. It consisted of a lovely mahogany board with several inserted strips of wood placed at various angles, a wooden cue and several ball bearings.

As for your reading this as an oncology treatment, what were you drinking when you posted?

It's unfortunately some sort of Chinese jollop they serve up over there, GG.

For once, I feel deadly serious, as I really don't want to know that - it's probably the reason why I won't ever go to a Chinese restaurant again...

:0(

xx
Chinese New Year

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post January 24, 2020, 18:33
by mrs bouquet
xx
Shock, horror - a Chinese balloon

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post February 10, 2023, 15:23
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 51 queries.