Colds in chickens...

• 3 Replies

JackieV

Colds in chickens...
« on: February 27, 2010, 23:48 »
Just found this website - glad to see I'm not alone in being totally in love with all of my girls!
Two of them (one Dorking and one ex-battery) have got colds at the moment. Neither of them have snotty noses or any discharge, but both sneeze and snuffle a fair bit. They are still both laying and are as perky as ever. Started feeding the whole gang (there are 23 of them altogether!) garlic this week. Maybe I should add some poultry spice to their pellets? Or cider apply vinegar to their water? Or should I take them to the vet? Any help appreciated - thanks.

dizzylizzie

Re: Colds in chickens...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 09:09 »
Hi, try garlic granuals in their water, but watch them closely. Sniffles can spread very quickly to the rest of your flock, if they get ill in anyway i would pop the to the vets for some antibiotics :D

Rubellite

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 11:52 »
.......and make sure their bedding isn't damp and their house is well ventilated ;)

JackieV

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 13:52 »
Thanks both for that advice. Their houses are like luxury hotels and bedding is always dry with no draughts coming in at night. Bought some poultry spice & started adding that to their pellets and have been feeding them garlic too. Don't want to speak too soon but....... I haven't heard a sneeze or snuffle since Sunday (hurray!!!) so maybe just those extra vitamins (coupled with this lovely bit of sunshine!) has made them feel better???? Let's hope so.
I had 16 eggs yesterday! The most ever so far!!!!! Lovely.
Anyone for an omelette??!
Jac

xx
Do chickens get colds? How to treat?

Started by andyajsb on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 08:56
by joyfull
xx
Can Chickens Catch Colds?

Started by scampy on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 22:54
by Poolfield2
xx
chickens with colds - any advice?

Started by haychickilady on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 01, 2009, 21:13
by haychickilady
xx
Can Chickens Catch Colds from Humans?

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 10:14
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 38 queries.