Things that take you back...

• 6 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Things that take you back...
« on: January 21, 2021, 15:26 »
I was just snipping up some parsley for the fish pie I'm making for tea, and I'm small again  ;)

It was always my job after school on a Friday, to snip the parsley, with small scissors, to go in the sauce for a nice thick slice of conger eel, served with loads of mashed potato.
Woe betide me if I didn't snip it small enough to please mother....

Whatever happened to conger eel? you never seem to see it any more, and it is good to eat :)

rowlandwells

Re: Things that take you back...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 16:53 »
conger eel i must admit having eaten most things in my lifetime conger eel is something I've never had does it taste like fish do you fry it steam it or bake it  i seem to have heard about eel pie and mash something Londoners eat and served with a liqueur ?

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 16:54 »
Isn't conger eel known as 'Rock Salmon' these days?

Agree about the parsley though - It's almost 'comfort food' because I can easily remember the way you describe it!

And I loved chopping the mint, holding the blade directly above the board, and making as much noise as possible! (Rather like I do nowadays...)!

GraciesGran

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 17:02 »
I loved being allowed to chop the mint for mint sauce, quite sure the health and safety police wouldn't approve.  Still make it the same way now - mint, sugar and sharp bread knife.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 17:06 »
 I absolutely love parsley sauce with fish and ham and the smell - oh!  ::) Chopping it with a knife is one of the best things about it.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 18:03 »
conger eel i must admit having eaten most things in my lifetime conger eel is something I've never had does it taste like fish do you fry it steam it or bake it  i seem to have heard about eel pie and mash something Londoners eat and served with a liqueur ?
Conger eel is the largest of all the eels, it is a 'meaty' type of fish similar in taste to skate IMO.
The small eels are a different type of eel, they're the ones you get set in jelly or in the parsley sauce that is  served alongside pie & mash in the East End of London.
Google tells me that Rock Salmon aka Huss aka Rock eel is not really an eel, it is a variety of Dog fish. So now you know as much as me  :D :D

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 19:14 »
As the youngest of 3 girls  I scraped the new taters for Sunday dinner. 4 years old, sat outside on the steps leading down to the lawn. I can see it now 60 years later. Also mixing the custard powder. Though mum used to laugh and get me to sing while I was doing it because I used to love eating it. I've noticed smells are the most evocative for me. I had an old fashioned wildflower called i think, longbarrow or something similar, and the smell was lovely like the horse we had .

xx
Things are not going too well...

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

14 Replies
Last post May 10, 2020, 13:31
by Goosegirl
sad
Is this really what things have come to?

Started by Lardman on Chatting on the Plot

16 Replies
Last post October 09, 2022, 17:53
by Growster...
xx
things they used to say

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post January 19, 2021, 20:09
by Aidy
clip
Things I don't believe in...

Started by Lardman on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post February 03, 2019, 16:09
by jaydig

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 46 queries.