sweet pea germination

• 18 Replies

snow white

sweet pea germination
« on: April 11, 2013, 08:41 »
I sowed loads of sweet pea seeds but only about half have germinated should I have chitted them first with kitchen paper?  I want to sow some more, will shifting them help?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: sweet pea germination
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 08:52 »
Can't really suggest anything better than this guide from T&M - good eyesight, patience and a steady hand required but probably worth the trouble if you're having difficulties.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

alotty

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 12:16 »
Hi

I never do anything with my sweet pea seeds before sowing.  I put a load in grow tubes a couple of weeks ago and they have all germinated. 

Stree

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 15:15 »
Some Chatsworth Blue I got from T&M say 20C for 10 to 21 days after 24 hours soaking in water. Very fussy for sweetpea, I usually just put straight in pot and wait 7 to 12 days for a show.
Seems some are a bit more complicated than others.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 16:46 »
Gwendoline (pale pink) germinates very quickly but some old fashioned, heavily scented, dark red ones I sowed (can't remember the name atm) took over a month to show :ohmy:

snow white

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 20:44 »
I might just wait another week then.  But I will put some more in and see.  Can always use extra. :)

Willow_Warren

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 12:30 »
Some Chatsworth Blue I got from T&M say 20C for 10 to 21 days after 24 hours soaking in water. Very fussy for sweetpea, I usually just put straight in pot and wait 7 to 12 days for a show.
Seems some are a bit more complicated than others.

I bought some of those too (coz they were cheap!) read the pack, but I couldn't be bothered so I just plonked 3 seeds in each pot of normal compost and popped them in a lidded propogator (no heat), they all germinated (forgot to record dates so I don't know how long it took around a week I think), currently couple of inches tall, not experience in growing them but they look ok (I have high hopes for them  :lol:)

Hannah :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 12:36 »
Don't forget to pinch off the growing point, at the top, when they're 3 or 4 ins tall so that they grow lots of side shoots  ;)

madcat

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 14:49 »
I bought some from Lidls (posh cat here!) and about a third are still refusing to show after 3 weeks.  They are mixed colours so I am hoping that they are just a slower variety.   >:(
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Stree

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 16:24 »
Hannah,
My Chatsworths are now 70% germinated, took about 20 days. Alongside them I have 4 other types which all took between 7 to 10 days and are growing strongly. The Chatsworth look a fairly feeble thing at this stage, especially compared to the others when they were this far along.
Al sown in same compost, identical pots, all on the same staging, so looks like the Chatsworth is just not as vigorous as others.
More out today I think, I have about 50 plants total so far.
Just wish I had more sunny borders.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 17:32 »
Oh no... I'm only growing Chatsworth, I don't have anything to compare it to with regards to vigour and growth!

Hannah  :wacko:

snow white

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 18:01 »
A few more have shown through so I think patience is the game here, oh and to start in Oct next time to give me time to re sow if necc.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 18:17 »
I'm a natural soaker of sweetpea seeds prior to planting - both grandads always soaked, so so do I.
But it isn't deemed necessary with modern varieties at least.

They normally always germinate well, but I have had a good half dozen seed not come up - mind you, that is out of 50+ :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 09:45 »
I bought some from Lidls (posh cat here!) and about a third are still refusing to show after 3 weeks.  They are mixed colours so I am hoping that they are just a slower variety.   >:(

I usually cheat and buy a pot of sweet pea seedlings from my local garden centre for 99p, but I found myself wandering round Lidl the other day and couldn't resist buying a packet of seeds (25p as part of a multi-buy - would have been rude not to!)

After a 24 hour soak most but not all of the seed coats had split so I sowed them in a pot on a warm sunny windowsill, and today, just 6 days later, the first ones are coming up. It will be interesting to see if there are any obvious no-shows and how long I have to wait for them to fill in............

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 07:56 »
We bought a number of different varieties and colours this year all from the same source and have observed that the blue one and the white one, which I think are Royal Family Blue and Royal Family White, are not showing yet. All others, pinks, purples, reds, ripples are off and running. Patience seems to be a virtue with some kinds..

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

xx
Sweet pea germination problem

Started by Lesleyk on General Gardening

18 Replies
Last post April 24, 2014, 22:45
by Tracybutton
xx
Sweetpea Germination

Started by fatbelly on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 05, 2015, 10:29
by Goosegirl
xx
Germination rates for flowers

Started by VeggieVirgin on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post August 05, 2010, 20:40
by evie2
xx
germination/vermiculite problems

Started by sion01 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post March 10, 2011, 21:04
by sion01

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 35 queries.