Treats

• 3 Replies

blossom1044

Treats
« on: July 01, 2008, 14:12 »
DS decided that his snack of grapes and apple would and could go into the chicken pen.

OH MY GOD - you should have seen the fight!

4 birds squabbling over a half eaten toddlers grape and DS giggling.

Since then they have had a small amount of fruit on the odd occasion.

They also love peas pods and all as well as the seeds off long bits of grass.  You know those long bits that if you're walking the dogs in a meadow you can strip the seeds from the grass.

Are any of the above harmful?

I read somewhere that you should cook your veg peelings - is this just potato of everything?  

Our chooks turned their noses up at cooked potato, but love raw veg.

I just don't want to give them something they shouldn't.

Also a neighbour of my mum's swears by cooked pasta!

Our girls have layers pellets, but we like to give them a variety.  The rabbit eats anything you give her, so we were wondering if the chooks could have the same?

We didn't spoil our old chooks as much, bt since we lost them to the fox we've been really treating the new girls.  Over compensating!  sad isn't it!
new to hens
Thanks
T

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Treats
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 15:25 »
Unlike Wabbits hens lay eggs  :wink:   In order to do this the need excellent nutrition.

SO.  

Layers pellets ad lib and poultry grit and crushed oyster shell.  A small amount of treats in the afternoon only but nothing cooked with added sugar or salt.  A little protein is good for egg production worms or tinned tuna in spring water, some scrambled egg if you get a cracked one.  I give mine cat food when they are moulting.  LOADS of fresh raw greens and short grass and you'll get excellent eggs high in Omega 3  :D

blossom1044

Treats
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 11:57 »
thanks Aunt Sally

Our previous birds had the grass, hedge and other such like.  We haven't free ranged this on the grass yet as we were worried about Mr Fox.

Their treats are various and cover all the major food groups that you said.  Worms and grapes give the funniest reactions!

Not laying yet though.

DH is taunting them saying they have another 3 weeks before their go to the chicken broiler if an egg is not produced.  I said he was mean (I don't think he'd really do it) :wink: .

Treats
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 20:33 »
Mine go bonkers for rice and pasta.  I always cook the veg peeling before serving, it's normally a case of chuck it and try and escape with fingers cos if you try and put it in the run they are all over you, claws are a lot sharper then beaks....

xx
Treats

Started by cejx on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 16:58
by jinty1911
xx
Treats and Veg

Started by Mr R Design on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 29, 2018, 22:09
by Tenhens
xx
Treats

Started by Fisherman on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 18:30
by chooksbury
xx
Treats?

Started by LadyPluck on The Hen House

62 Replies
Last post November 06, 2009, 09:36
by AmandaH

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 38 queries.