Here for life!!!

• 23 Replies

Livinhope

Here for life!!!
« on: May 26, 2010, 14:13 »
Is there anyone out there as daft as my daughter and me.  Over the years we have kept a succession of chickens.  Every single one has lived with us until dying a natural death.  We just can't dispose of them and then sit down to a roast chicken dinner.

Are we over sentimental or just plain nuts.  Our last chicken was 17 and a half when she died.  We also had a drake (Errol)(?) who was over 18.

You wouldn't eat your friends!!!!!!!!!!!! :unsure:

carolbriar

Re: Here for life!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 14:26 »
Hi Livinhope, there is no way I could sit down to eat one of my girls - just not for me.  Mine will just stay with me until they die a natural death.
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

Livinhope

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 14:32 »
Thank heavens for that.

I think some people think we're nuts.  Not that that bothers us overmuch.

We get a lot of pleasure just watching their antics, especially when they just been cleaned out.  We never can get it right and they have to make the bed all over again, and the natter about our inefficiency............

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 15:15 »
Sorry, but I have birds for eggs, and some for meat.  Although I wouldn't eat my laying birds after a natural death or illness, I have no qualms at all about having roast chicken for dinner.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 15:25 »
Well all my girls and boys are pets and will stay with me for as long as they live...BUT if i had the room i would have meat chickens that would have a good quality of life, but they wouldnt have names and they would be for the table. we get our eatin' chickens from Grannie Annie, all of hers have a fab life, and they are killed at home in a humane way....none of this awful transport, scaring and stressing the birds out. My family will only eat anns chucks because of the way they are reared/killed and taste.....but pets are different ;)

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 15:29 »
Our four girls will be with us until they turn up their toes, I hope. Couldn't eat them (well, I probably could but the children would be mortified).

But if we raise too many cocks... paxo time.

carolbriar

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 15:30 »
Mine are definately pets :) They give me so much pleasure. I still wouldn't be able to get any hens in for meat.  In fact, every time I cook a chicken now it isn't quite the same as it was before getting the girls.

Livinhope

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 15:37 »
Don't get me wrong I am no vegetarian I eat and enjoy chicken along with most other meat (Can't stand venison), but I couldn't eat anything I've known personally.  Years ago we had a Muscovy x Aylesbury drake who turned vicious, we couldn't destroy him so we took him to a remote pond and let him go to take his chances.

So people have stronger stomachs than me and aren't soppy and sentimental.

scabs

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 15:46 »
Nothing wrong with wanting the best for your friends.  ;)

Livinhope

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 16:12 »
I know, and nothing would change my mind, but if some people are okay then so be it, it wouldn't do for us all to be as soft as me.

We have four rescue cats.
3 rescue dogs, + 1 labrador of choice.
1 rescue pony.

Need I say more.

scabs

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 16:20 »
'rescue pony'..? That sounds grim...  :(

Livinhope

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 16:37 »
Without putting myself in the firing line.

She was bred for the circus but didn't come up to scratch and was given to someone who sold her on to a farrier.  Why either of them had her beats me because she is a British spotted pony just over 11 hands.  I found her in a field with a load of other horses.  It took two weeks to get anywhere near her and it was food that did it because she was starving.  She was full of worms and lice and her feet were so appalling (it took 9 months to get them right) she had difficulty walking on hard surfaces, two were infected.  She was a companion to our beautiful mare who sadly died three years ago (also from the same source).  She is now 19 years old thoroughly spoilt and living the 'life of Riley'.  A well known racehorse trainer who lives near us would have liked to buy her from me for his granddaughter. 

She is a direct descendant of the ponies Queen Victoria had for her children.  So no common nag.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 17:52 »
Well done you on taking her and giving her a good home. I dont think you'll find you are the only one on here that is soppy and sentimentel about their animals. Scabs is right, you dont eat your friends. I love my chucks/turkey/ducks and would never eat them, they are pets.....no one is going to shoot you down for having the views you have, especially not on here and your right, it wouldnt do for us all to be the same...what about some piccies of your 'friends'...its the law you know ;)

Livinhope

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 18:19 »
I didn't think anyone on here would criticise me for my views, what I meant was that the original breeder of my pony is very well known in the Western circus world and originally lived in my area.  When the pony was passed on it was just a case of getting rid of an unwanted animal with no thought for the welfare. 

This is where I'm probably over sentimental even with the chickens, when we go out to the garden they come up to the fence and 'talk'.  I once took a chicken to the vet and, deep joy, he actually likes chickens and gives them the same consideration as any other pet.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 18:36 »
 :) :)

xx
New life

Started by tosca100 on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post January 27, 2016, 22:32
by nerdle
xx
Life in the old girl yet!

Started by Chrysalis on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post January 26, 2014, 21:51
by barley
xx
life a riley

Started by amj on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 08:37
by curries
xx
The stages of chicken life

Started by New shoot on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post March 06, 2015, 20:11
by JohnRKaye

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 39 queries.