Parking damage, my fault

• 6 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Parking damage, my fault
« on: August 07, 2018, 14:46 »
 In fifty odd years of driving, this has never happened to me before. I very carelessly scuffed a car in a side street whilst manoeuvring into a tight space. The owner was in the car, a brand new Volvo. Of course I apologised profusely and gave her all my details.

Is it now down to the other driver and/or her insurer to contact my insurer, or is that my responsibility? Believe it or not, I've always been the injured party in the past

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Parking damage, my fault
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 15:50 »
You should notify them to describe exactly what happened and where, who the driver was and what the damage appeared to be. The other party could try to make the accident/damage appear worse than it was.
I hope  you also took her details? The Ins co will send you a form to fill in to report the incident.

Advice after an accident https://www.admiral.com/magazine/guides/car-insurance/what-to-do-after-a-accident

al78

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 08:42 »
How bad was the scuff? If it is just a touch-up paint job, why bother? It is very unlikely the other driver will claim on their insurance and risk losing their no-claims bonus if they can repair the damage themselves with a bit of touch-up paint. The reason why insurance companies have excesses is to try and discourage  people from making silly claims.

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 08:47 »
If you don't notify your insurance company and the driver suddenly discovers she has suffered whiplash you may have invalidated your insurance policy and legal protection by not reporting it.

Just not worth the risk the way things go nowadays - report it, take the hit on your premium next year for the peace of mind.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 11:55 »
Well, I called my insurers and told them about it.

The whole episode was so annoying. I must have been a victim of anonymously donated parking scuffs and scratches a dozen times and just shrugged my shoulders and repaired them myself or used one of the local scratch-repairers. Now the owner of the car I scuffed has taken it to the Volvo dealership for repair so I've no doubt my insurers will be getting a four figure bill and this will be reflected in my renewal premium.

Carelessness comes at a price

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 16:19 »
Be prepared for 100s of injury lawyer calls too when the insurance company sell your details to their "partners". I've genuinely been looking at alternative methods of transport recently as the convenience of a car is fast being outweighed by the problems it brings.

Carelessness comes at a price

There's an actress and bishop joke in there somewhere ...  :lol:

al78

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 22:39 »
If you don't notify your insurance company and the driver suddenly discovers she has suffered whiplash you may have invalidated your insurance policy and legal protection by not reporting it.

Just not worth the risk the way things go nowadays - report it, take the hit on your premium next year for the peace of mind.

I suspect if the driver trying to claim for whiplash after a scuff (assuming it really is just a scuff), they will find themselves being charged with a fraudulent claim. There is no way a driver will suffer a whiplash injury from a scrape which will only damage the paintwork. The speed of impact will be walking pace at an abolute maximum, very likely less than that if the OP was performing a tricky manoevure.

Someone tried that one once with my mother when she stopped in a residential road than got hit from behind. It didn't get the silly woman very far.

clip
Parking near allotment

Started by sospan on Chatting on the Plot

20 Replies
Last post June 22, 2019, 08:47
by Yorkie
xx
Manchester City parking help please

Started by grinling on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post September 27, 2019, 22:55
by grinling
xx
Phone Line Fault

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post December 20, 2017, 17:22
by grinling
clip
Did any one get any storm damage?, we did

Started by LILLILEAF on Chatting on the Plot

17 Replies
Last post February 12, 2020, 16:18
by Christine

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 46 queries.