salty chutney

• 5 Replies

chrissie B

salty chutney
« on: December 19, 2009, 10:51 »
got a problem with my tomatoe chutney , followed the recipie to the letter and although thought the salt was high added it and now its very salyt so how can i damp it down a bit , ive added a bit more suger and reheated it so far , any ideas please .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Janeymiddlewife

Re: salty chutney
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 14:43 »
The only thing i can think of is to add an equal quantity of raw ingredients to it, minus the salt and start again - or in other words make an unsalted batch of chutney and add it to the reheated chutney - but it obviously won't be ready for eating - you'd have to label it as don't use until xxxxx
Sorry!

Poolfield2

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 16:22 »
I believe that to remove excess salt from soup you simmer it gently with a couple of spuds in then remove and dispose of spuds, don't know if this works and might make chutney weird so would reccommend a very small trial batch first!!!!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 18:14 »
got a problem with my tomatoe chutney , followed the recipie to the letter and although thought the salt was high added it and now its very salyt so how can i damp it down a bit , ive added a bit more suger and reheated it so far , any ideas please .
chrissie b

Chrissie, I had exactly the same probelm and now know that I don't like as much salt as other in chutney :tongue2: :tongue2:

I made another batch the same amounts but NO salt and mixed them together, heated them up to temp again and the put in jars -- it is yum.

NOTE to self quarter the salt next time -- you can always add a little more but sure cannot take it out  :lol: :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

chrissie B

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 13:40 »
ive been thinking on those lines myself it only means we will be eating tomatoe chutney into the next century lol
ive since found that my very first batch one before this one was from a very similar recipie and i got them mixed up , will just have to alter this one .
thanks for the help
chrissie b

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 21:25 »
Should have also said I used up a fair bit adding it to things when I was cooking (no more salt obviously  :lol: :lol: ) like soup, stews, and even baked beans  ;)

xx
Salty bacon

Started by Steveharford on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

16 Replies
Last post March 31, 2014, 10:15
by Mrs Bee
sad
Salty Pickles

Started by CarolynAnne on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post September 18, 2011, 07:40
by New shoot
xx
I am a chutney god

Started by noshed on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post October 08, 2009, 23:26
by noshed
xx
chutney

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 18:27
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 38 queries.