Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

chickpeacurry

• Experienced Member
Re: just bought a dehydrator
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 10:35 »
Just got mine on the go with tomato s it is the Andrew James 5 trays.  I have 3 of tomato and going to do dome beans.  Has anyone done tomato I am hoping they are like Sun dried.   What were the dried corgettee like ..  I am so hoping it is a success because not a huge fan of pickles

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 12:13 »
Just got mine on the go with tomato s it is the Andrew James 5 trays.  I have 3 of tomato and going to do dome beans.  Has anyone done tomato I am hoping they are like Sun dried.   What were the dried corgettee like ..  I am so hoping it is a success because not a huge fan of pickles
That's the one I've got, too.
I've done two lots of toms, the first were large tomatoes, seeded and quartered and they were very snackable as they were.  The other ones were smaller tomatoes just sliced and put in the trays, they were more acid and not quite so nice just to snack on.  I haven't tried putting them in oil after drying yet.
I did some courgette, but must've sliced them a bit thin and they came out like crisps, which were okay but not my favourite. I've had a few attempts at beetroot crisps but not succeeded yet.
Anne

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 21:33 »
I'm going to keep my courgettes for ading to dishes in the winter sups ect.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 07:37 »
My courgettes were really rubbery, what do you do with them as i was very dissappointed, also my beetroot were the same

bravemurphy

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 07:56 »
We are looking at getting one but read so many reviews that I really don't know.

Some say they are noisy, some say they use a lot of electric some say the trays break etc.etc.etc.

We were looking at the Andrew james round one but then I saw the rectangular one.

Just not convinced at the mo.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 07:58 »
We are looking at getting one but read so many reviews that I really don't know.

Some say they are noisy, some say they use a lot of electric some say the trays break etc.etc.etc.

We were looking at the Andrew james round one but then I saw the rectangular one.

Just not convinced at the mo.

Right now i wish i hadnt bothered, its already in the roof  :blush: the tomatoes went mouldy after a week, is that normal. I need some help with mine i obviously havent worked it out  ???

bravemurphy

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 11:59 »

Right now i wish i hadnt bothered, its already in the roof  :blush: the tomatoes went mouldy after a week, is that normal. I need some help with mine i obviously havent worked it out  ???

This is what I am worried about thx BQ you just saved me £50 ish.

Will stick to the freezer and pickling for now.

snow white

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2013, 12:19 »
If it goes mouldy then they were not done long enoug or were not air tight.  Having great fun with mine at the mo.  Every flavour is intensified.  Fruit leathers are amazing, as are dried bananas.  Courgettes and swede are for soups etc.  Doing toms as we speak.  Everything takes longer than you think, but it only costs about 3p per hour, so a full load of stuff costs from 24 p  to 75p.

You must keep them in an airtight jar or bag as if they have access to moist air they will absorb water and go mouldy.  I put mine in kilner jars.

I have a round plastic one which at the moment am very happy with. :D

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2013, 13:34 »
  Fruit leathers are amazing, as are dried bananas. 

I have a round plastic one which at the moment am very happy with. :D
What do you do the leathers in?  Iv'e tried to think what will fit into a round dehydrator.
I've just done a batch of bananas dipped in lime juice, and its lovely.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2013, 15:18 »
I read they needed to be like raisins when they are ready and my toms seemed to be ready. I did put them in a jar, will maybe try again. I was very dissappointed.

Now beetroot will that end up crisp as mine were softish, i had far more success in the oven with beetrot.

snow white

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2013, 16:34 »

[/quote]
What do you do the leathers in?  Iv'e tried to think what will fit into a round dehydrator.
I've just done a batch of bananas dipped in lime juice, and its lovely.
[/quote]

Cling film.  But I have just invested in some proper sheets that I will cut to size (amazon). The cling film curled around the sides and delayed the drying process but when it was nearly dry I took it off the cling film and finished it on the tray.

plottopot

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2013, 17:12 »
I did black and green grapes (when they were cheap to buy) last year, took forever but then used them in my Christmas cake...what a treat, best ever and I'm ancient so take it from me, I have made dozens of the things.

Trillium

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2013, 17:13 »
BQ, I highly recommend that you watch a youtube gal called dehydrate2store HERE

Not only does she describe all the how-to's but she also shows exactly how the result should look and sound like. EG A properly dried lemon slice should click when dropped on a counter and not be at all flexible. As snow white said, it sounds like you're not drying the tomatoes long enough. I usually run mine overnight as many things need around 10 to 12 hours drying time. Power is cheaper overnight and no one will disturb the drying.

If the finished item is not kept in a tightly lidded jar then it will resoften thanks to room humidity and storage time lessens.

Racks only break if someone drops them and steps on them.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2013, 17:21 »
Thank you will take a look when i am on the big pc as youtube dont work on the ipad  ::)

xx
dehydrator

Started by MoreWhisky on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post November 21, 2010, 20:10
by birmancats
xx
Dehydrator

Started by big green bloke on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post July 08, 2015, 18:44
by Madame Cholet
xx
success with dehydrator thanks for help

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

19 Replies
Last post July 22, 2012, 21:43
by Madame Cholet
xx
Anyone used Wolf dehydrator?

Started by shokkyy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2012, 20:59
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 29 queries.