Advice please for novice

• 6 Replies

PlymouthMaid

Advice please for novice
« on: August 20, 2009, 11:59 »
Hello all - I am planning on making my first country wine very soon - have elderberries and blackberries in the freezer waiting.  I am having trouble finding a decently priced source of demijohns - have seen the plastic ones but not sure if they are good or not??  Also - was thinking of gettign a starter kit such as

http://www.brew-it-yourself.co.uk/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=78_114&products_id=374

Good idea/good value??

Are demijohns an essential part of the process or can the brew be left to 'cook' in the bins after straining?  Apologies if any of these sounds terribly ignorant or confused but I have never made any wine before. 

hank scorpio

Re: Advice please for novice
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 16:07 »
Hello again,

I joined my local freecycle group and managed to aquire quite a few demijohns. Lots of people seem to be giving them away. Most freecycle groups work through yahoo groups, all you need is a yahoo email. I have one i just use for freecycling.

PlymouthMaid

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 19:32 »
I have tried freecycle - everybody here wants them it seems. Splashed out in Wilkos earler today - about 5 1/2 quid each so not too criminal.

SG6

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 12:18 »
Just looked at the link. Doesn't seem worth it. I find that all I need is a bucket, 99p at Wilks to do the initial ferment in, cover it with a tea towel for the week that it is in the bucket and then pass the stuff through a sieve into a demijohn. Add airlock and watch/wait.

You want the yeast and nutrient, a funnel and a wooden spoon helps. After that it is personnel preference for additional items/ingredients.

Actually 2 buckets are a good idea for separating the liquid and fruit from the initial ferment. Pour eyerything through the sieve from the fermeted bucketfull into the second bucket, then pour that through the funnel into the demijohn. Sieve again if you want when filling the demijohn.

I guess the kit has citric acid and tannin in it. Lemon juice will do for citric acid and blackberry/elderberry have more then enough tannin in them. Balckberry/elderberry wine will have to mature for longer because of the amount of tannin present.

In answer to the last question, Demijohns are an essential part of it all.

PlymouthMaid

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 22:49 »
Thank you very much for that long reply - much appreciated.  I have my berries fizzing away in a big bucket at present.  Didnt get the kit as I priced up the bits I needed and got most of it at Wilcos.  Smells pretty good so far. Can I trouble you with another question?? 

The airlock thingies - do you just put them on the demijohns with the bungs or do I need to do anything else with them? Sorry for ignorance.

maverick

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 09:22 »
Can I trouble you with another question?? 

The airlock thingies - do you just put them on the demijohns with the bungs or do I need to do anything else with them? Sorry for ignorance.

Put a little water in the airlock so that you can monitor the bubles. As the bubles slow down over time, you can tell when the yeast has converted the sugar to alcohol. Good luck - I'm hoping to make some Blackberry wine this weekend  :)

Etherelda

• Experienced Member
    • http://fernanddavesallotment.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 17:32 »
demijohns- I regularly see them up at our local tip.
"Do not sit supine in God's Waiting Room."

xx
complete novice ...

Started by crackedflowerpots on Homebrew

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2008, 16:49
by crackedflowerpots
xx
Novice homebrewer needs help please

Started by Ice on Homebrew

13 Replies
Last post July 15, 2009, 20:03
by Ice
xx
Some daft questions from a complete novice!

Started by Casey76 on Homebrew

9 Replies
Last post January 27, 2010, 17:34
by thearaig
xx
Help advice needed please.

Started by fallen angel on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post October 29, 2013, 08:21
by Capt Zero

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 39 queries.