how to choose chickens

• 7 Replies

emotion-2003

• Experienced Member
how to choose chickens
« on: January 27, 2012, 20:38 »
hi
i am going to buy 6 hens this weekend hopely:)
i live in countryside but i still have neighbours of course.we couldnt decide what breed hens are the best for us.we would like to buy 6 different breed hens.could you please help me about choosing my new girls:)
thanks for your help and advice
cheers

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Re: how to choose chickens
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 21:15 »
Try to think of what temperament you want most and are eggs really all that important. Go from there.
This chart is very helpful and will tell you the basics of most breeds. http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Let us know what you go for.  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 21:16 »
go and look and see which ones you like, we all have our favourites so any answers would be unbiased.
You do need to decide if you want large fowl, bantams or true bantams. Also do you want plenty of eggs or less eggs but over a longer period. Pure breeds tend to produce less eggs per week but will longer and keep laying eggs over a longer period.
Some people like feathered legged birds and others don't, some like blue egg layers and others prefer white or terracotta or even dark brown shelled eggs.
Staffies are softer than you think.

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 08:49 »
If you are lucky enough not to be limited by price you may be limited by the availability of some breeds and if possible it is best to get all the hens in one go to avoid bullying later on.

What choices have you got locally ?

Top of my list for being healthy and good layers is Light Sussex.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 08:50 by 8doubles »

evie2

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 11:58 »
We went for looks ::) and ended up with a Light Sussex, a Speckldy, 3 Ambers (chosen by wee Evie) 4 LM Sabelpoots (chosen by OH because they're pretty) and added 2 Lavender Sablepoots and 2 Dutch bantams last year again because they're pretty.  All have been good layers, friendly and fun :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 23:09 »
We went for looks ::) and ended up with a Light Sussex, a Speckldy, 3 Ambers (chosen by wee Evie) 4 LM Sabelpoots (chosen by OH because they're pretty) and added 2 Lavender Sablepoots and 2 Dutch bantams last year again because they're pretty.  All have been good layers, friendly and fun :D

Sure I counted 13 chickens, very unlucky you will just have to get some more!!   :lol:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

evie2

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 23:50 »
13 :ohmy: yes we need more :D

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 17:43 »
13 :ohmy: yes we need more :D

I got 2 Partridge Wyandotte Bantams on Friday and was very good as there were loads of other gorgeous colours.  Then today I was naughty, I was collecting a cage I bought off Ebay and ended up coming home with another quail (the lad had bought 2 at auction and one had died).  The problem is it is a Chinese painted quail so I can't put it in with my others as they are a different breed.  Hubby has already said it can't be left on its own so I have no choice but to find a friend for it.   ::)

xx
which chickens do i choose?

Started by thegoodlife on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post September 13, 2008, 22:15
by chickchick
xx
Too many to choose from - help

Started by babe on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 07, 2007, 21:56
by babe
xx
What breed to choose?

Started by Redgoat on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 19:57
by Pretty Chick
xx
Which type of chicken to choose?

Started by looe-looe-belle on The Hen House

29 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 15:00
by looe-looe-belle

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 37 queries.