Seed potatoes

• 36 Replies

gobs

Seed potatoes
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2007, 11:25 »
LMAO.

Has your hoe turned up, mushy, you shall be able turn around with that. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mushroom

Seed potatoes
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2007, 12:07 »
no, it hasn't arrived  :x  :x  :x In all fairness, it was ordered on Monday afternoon and they said 3-4 working days. it's Saturday now, but I'm unsure parcelforce will deliver on a Saturday - if they do, it will probably be only in the morning, and it might cost extra. So, hopefully it will arrive Monday or Tuesday, if it's not here by Monday afternoon, I'll be calling the suppliers...

nwalch

• Experienced Member
Seed potatoes
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2007, 16:06 »
Quote from: "shaun"
you have your work cut out there mushy  :shock: have you thought about hiring a mini digger for a day :wink: i'm not joking mate you will have that lot cleared in a few hours,mine was like that when got my 1st plot and i done it with a mini digger.

Wouldnt a mini digger just turn the weeds back into the soil (possibly in more pieces) where they would just grow back.
Are you looking for an allotment (full or to share) in South East Sheffield. PM me for details.

mushroom

Seed potatoes
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2007, 16:08 »
Quote from: "nwalch"
Quote from: "shaun"
you have your work cut out there mushy  :shock: have you thought about hiring a mini digger for a day :wink: i'm not joking mate you will have that lot cleared in a few hours,mine was like that when got my 1st plot and i done it with a mini digger.

Wouldnt a mini digger just turn the weeds back into the soil (possibly in more pieces) where they would just grow back.

If you rotovate only once, yes. if you do it many times, the bits get chopped up so small that they're no longer viable.

sweet nasturtium

Seed potatoes
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2007, 00:31 »
Quote from: "gobs"
We are also a small family, Sweetie, but we do go through quite a bit of rice and pasta as well, but for us, 2 - 2 1/2 sacks are enough almost till the new ones come along and now for 2 years of JA as well, I never need to buy pots, even though I give a lot of new pots away. I plant about 4x20 tubers of main crop, that would be approx(depends on size of tuber!) 2x 3 or 4x1.5kg. And 4x20 tubers of new pots, 2 lots of these can be left and stored and used all year round.

It depends though, what the yield is per variety in a year and your personal appetite, also, the size as mentioned.

However, (unless big screw up for whatever reason) I can't see you going short on a near that amount of seed.  As I say, I give a lot away.  If conditions right, soil right, weather right, you can expect 20 tubers or almost a bucketful under one plant, all that not right, you have just some. :wink:

thanks gobs - I take it you mean around 50-80 tubers to last a year (we have around 2 potato meals per week)

sweet nasturtium

Re: Seed potatoes
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2007, 00:41 »
Quote from: "mkhenry"
If you intend to grow your own spuds donot be tempted to cut corners until you have got a couple of growing years under your belt.
If you do you may regret it. You will have lost all your growing time if you buy cheap and they fail.
Until you are relly up to it always buy good quality certified seed potatoes,from a reliable source.
Thopson and Mogans, Dobbies,etc will not cost that much more and you can be certain that they will be ok.
Once you get as good as Shaun you can start looking around to save a bob or two.
It takes about 1 1/2 pounds of  seed spuds for a 10 foot row.
These will yeald about 10 to 12 pounds per spud if they are NEW POTS
If they are MAIN GROP you should get about 18 to 20 pounds per seed pot.

Main grop needs to be about 30 " beteen the rows and 15" between the spuds.
New about " foot apart and 122 from one another. hope this helps. :wink:

So, my plot is 15ft wide, one plant per 15" give me 12 plants per row
and therefore 5 rows of 3ft would mean an area of 15x15ft for my annual yield?? (of 2-3kg per week)
Praps I'll come back to in the morning... :)

gobs

Seed potatoes
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2007, 06:52 »
I suggest you put in about 3 more rows for losses, and do not blame us about blight, make sure you chose Sharpo for one of your choices(or similar).

xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
Seed Potatoes

Started by Leisurely on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 25, 2008, 22:37
by richyrich7
xx
Seed Potatoes

Started by gedgemeister on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 17, 2012, 14:29
by Plottered
xx
seed potatoes

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 09, 2018, 12:49
by Anton

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 34 queries.