Broad bean disaster

• 7 Replies

bermuda

Broad bean disaster
« on: November 11, 2007, 10:53 »
Hi everyone, I wonder if you can help me. I have just been given an allotment and have started to clear it as it has been neglected for 18 months. I recently planted some broad beans and each and every one has died. The leaves have turned brown as if they were rotting. Tried planting some from my garden and the same has happened. I have asked other people on the allotment for an explanation but nobody has seen this before, can anyone shed any light on this matter. I have put onions and garlic in some beds close to the beans and they are doing fine. Please help.

gobs

Broad bean disaster
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 10:58 »
Where were the seedlings grown?

I mean could it be a hardening off problem, if you had some frosts like here and they were raised inside??
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

splodger

Broad bean disaster
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 12:15 »
sounds like foot rot or root rot

good husbandry and crop rotation should stop this from happening

maybe the plot you have taken - needs a good dose of tlc before you plant

give it a good clear up - and plenty of organic matter and let winter do it's job - and wait til spring to sow

muntjac

Broad bean disaster
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 13:05 »
Quote from: "splodger"
sounds like foot rot or root rot

good husbandry and crop rotation should stop this from happening

maybe the plot you have taken - needs a good dose of tlc before you plant

give it a good clear up - and plenty of organic matter and let winter do it's job - and wait til spring to sow

#
 as above  :wink:
still alive /............

milkman

Broad bean disaster
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 18:20 »
hallo and welcome from me, not sure where you are but sounds like you could have planted them too early for overwintering and they could have been hit by frost alternatively suffered from it being too warm and wet? did you use a hardy variety such as super aquadulce or aquadulce claudia?

you could do as others suggest above, but I would say there is no harm in clearing another area of your plot and sowing a hardy variety direct  (I've only just sown min this weekend).
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

gobs

Broad bean disaster
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 06:31 »
Def another area and just for future ref, onion types and beans are not good neighbours, try not to plant them close to each other.

sweet nasturtium

Broad bean disaster
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 11:39 »
Could the area have been treated with weedkiller?  Allotment plots often are when they've been vacant for a while.

muntjac

Broad bean disaster
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 11:44 »
id chuck a few tins of cheshunt paste down in ya water can  :wink: , most weedkillers are useless now when they come into contact with the soil , and usually are taken in airborne or watered on ,i suspect the old root rot problem  and the paste can sort that and rotating the crops around sorts it as well   :wink:

but good thinking as it coule be a sodium chloride weedkiller has been used on the soil where it should have been used on paths etc

sad
Bean disaster. AGAIN!

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 11, 2012, 20:31
by A Reyt Tayty
xx
Broad bean help!

Started by siani on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 15:08
by Goosegirl
xx
broad bean

Started by dustcartkev on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 06, 2013, 13:39
by Jamrock
xx
Broad Bean

Started by Tom Hill on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post December 17, 2012, 15:30
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 28 queries.