Coop Build from design to completion - With photos!!

• 90 Replies

hillfooter

Re: Coop Build from design to completion - With photos!!
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2011, 18:02 »
Hi paul,

Very nice, blends in well.  You didn't photograph the roosts though which I'd love to see.

Did you keep a tally on your costs?

Well done all you need once the run in is situ is some birds.

HF
Truth through science.

Diggit

« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2011, 18:19 »
Thanks HF.

The roosts are very nearly complete. I am just waiting on a length of 6x2 and I can finish them. Going back a few posts to the discussion about the nest boxes ideally being lower than perches I altered by plans slightly. I used up all off my 3x2 scraps and 4x2 scraps so I needed more wood anyway. Three 6" high roosts will be nearest to the nest boxes, then a few 4x2's and the 3x2's at the pop hole end. This will give a gradually raise from the entrance to the nest boxes. I will take a couple of pics once it's complete.

Lots of the wood I used was stuff I had gathered over time so it would be difficult to cost. The only bits I actually bought were the ply (2 sheets but have loads left over), the roofing material and the catches. Next time I'm in B&Q I will price things up to work out a general idea of cost! ;)

Thanks again
Paul 
Paul

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2011, 08:53 »
What a superb job you have done there! In my next life I promise to be good at DIY, because I am absolutely useless at it  :lol: :lol:
Alan

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2011, 18:38 »
Great job!  It's also really helpful that you have documented the build, including the decisions you made at each stage and why.  I can see this thread being a very useful reference for other people, especially once you cost the project.

Nice work all round.  :)

binghamd

« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2011, 20:22 »
Great thread.javascript:replaceText(' :D', document.forms.postmodify.message); Just about finished a design when I came across it.javascript:replaceText(' >:(', document.forms.postmodify.message);
Superb bit of workmanship.
A few questions :-
Is OSB board a no-no?
Does the corrugated roof not make it drafty?
Are the egg boxes best placed at the opposite end from the poop hole?
Could silicon be used to seal the edges and make it more RM resistant or will the hens strip it off. Don't want to think what injested silicon would do to them. Bouncy eggs?
Could there be a problem with rain getting into the nest boxes at the side wall to onduline junction?

hillfooter

« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2011, 23:59 »
Superb bit of workmanship.
A few questions :-
Is OSB board a no-no? DEFINITELY
Does the corrugated roof not make it drafty? Ventillation is required and ideally it's best to provide it above head height.  It would be preferable to baffle it ideally but with corrigated board that's difficult.  A ribbon or material fringe hung over the edges would do the job if it proved too draughty.  On balance I suspect it's OK
Are the egg boxes best placed at the opposite end from the poop hole? :lol: :lol:Love the idea that you should place egg boxes at the opposite end to the poop hole.  However I think you mean NEST boxes and Pop hole.  It's not a requirement but it makes for less disturbance to laying hens and cuts down draughts.
Could silicon be used to seal the edges and make it more RM resistant or will the hens strip it off.exactly they'd strip it off.  i once used mastic sealer on a roof repair and they just picked it out Don't want to think what injested silicon would do to them. Bouncy eggs?
Could there be a problem with rain getting into the nest boxes at the side wall to onduline junction?Provided the overhand is enough it should be ok but a sofit end board of two wood boards fixed at right angles would probably solve the draught bafling and rain ingress issue if one existed.  My stables have such an arrangement.

HF

binghamd

« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2011, 18:50 »
Thanks HF.

Another question.
How many large hens eg sussex, do people think would this accommodate?

Great woodwork Diggit. I think mine will have more battens outside for support and cover the joins.

hillfooter

« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2011, 00:11 »
Thanks HF.

Another question.
How many large hens eg sussex, do people think would this accommodate?

Great woodwork Diggit. I think mine will have more battens outside for support and cover the joins.

I'd say about 8 large fowl like Light Sussex per square metre in the house.  Obviously the aspect ratio is important as well as the area so they can have around 20 - 25cms of roost space each.  I don't know the exact size of Diggits house.

The run area is usually the most restricting and 2 tp 3 square metres each is usually the minimum unless you can let them free range part of the day.
HF

Diggit

« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2011, 18:45 »
Thanks for the compliments binghamd.

The House is around 1200mm wide (cut from a sheet of 8x4 WBP ply) and 800mm wide. The highest point is also 800mm sloping to 700mm.

binghamd

« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2011, 15:26 »
Diggit ; where you intend putting beading internally to seal the joints, would it be worthwhile to paint them and the joints with polyurethane varnish and reduce further sites for RM

foxi loxi

« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2011, 11:52 »
Fantastic looking coop, it has given me lots of food for thought!
I was wondering how you managed to get snap shots of your design? I have drawn up a plan on google sketch up and wanted to get some pictures to put on here so i can get some feed back before we start the build!
Many thanks

Hairclips

« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2011, 09:32 »
Great coop! We are thinking of making our own, but are a bit daunted of the scale of it all, not being natural carpenters!

Thanks for the info and photos very helpful to a novice/beginner like me!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2011, 17:07 »
Oh no, have read all of this post and argggggggggggggghhh its like not finding the last piece of the jigsaw, or finding your hard drive has not recorded the last 5 minutes of a movie, or one of those movies you watch because you want to know what happens at the end and then it ends not giving you any idea of what really happens and you have to draw your own conclusions.   :wacko:

Rant over.  :mad:  Diggit could you please come back and finish what you started.  Pictures of your new arrivals are mandatory. 

Mind wanders ..................
"Grocer Jack grocer Jack get off your back
Go into town don't let them down
Oh no no
Grocer Jack grocer Jack get off your back
Go into town don't let them down
Oh no no
The people that live in the town
Don't understand
He's never been known to miss his round
Its 10 o'clock the housewife's yell
When Jack turns up we'll give him hell
Husbands moan at breakfast tables
No milk no eggs no marmalade labels
Mothers send the children out to Jacks house
To scream and shout
Grocer Jack grocer Jack get off your back
Come into town don't let us down
Oh no no"

Thinks ................................ hope that you are well and nothing untoward has stopped your posting.  Wishing you well just in case.  :wub:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2011, 23:01 »
 :lol:  :lol:

I totally agree, ANHBUC!  I want to know what the chickens thought of all Diggit's hard work. 

terri

• 1st egg
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2011, 08:23 »
you see hes prob got his chickens now and if hes anything like me is spending far too much time out in the garden watching them and all the funny little goings on in hen world ,planning bigger and better builds for them adding more hens ....etc.....and forgot all about eveything else,i no its not just me
but i want to see it too
4 children, 1 hubby, 2 g,pigs, 1 gecko 3 hens, 2 fish,2 cats

xx
New coop - build or buy?

Started by justasec on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post February 23, 2018, 11:08
by Aidy
xx
Planning new coop - comments on design?

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post January 30, 2011, 08:51
by Casey76
xx
coop photos

Started by Louise on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 06, 2008, 19:56
by mdueal
xx
Building a new coop (photos included!)

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 11, 2009, 16:47
by alibean

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 33 queries.