Failures.

• 23 Replies

bigben

Re: Failures.
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 12:22 »

By the way, I took someone's advise on here, took off all the flower stalks and whizzed them up in the blender and put the lot in jars - makes a fantastic addition to salads and stews and is surprisingly intense.  :) Thanks whoever you were!  ;) :lol:

What a great idea - I will have to do this next year. I grew quite a few types - some supermarket types which have not done so well and some proper seed garlic which has done really well. The one supermarket type that did ok did produce loads of the flower stalks and I chopped one or two in stir fry but most got wasted when I harvested the garlic. I think the hardneck garlic tends to produce more stalks than the soft neck stuff. This is only from my limited experience this year though!

Lardman

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 13:31 »
And heres todays.

Swift 1st earlies. Not only are they lacking that earthy taste, they're far to big, far to few Oh and covered in scab.  :tongue2:
IMG00062-20100703-1313.jpg

missycat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2010, 22:49 »
I was feeling quite smug that everything on the plot was coming along nicely, admitedly the soft fruit (other than strawberries!!) is few and far between but the bushes were only planted last Autumn, then today (missed yesterday) I found that all my pak choi and mooli have bolted, caterpillars have decimated my brassicas, the tomato leaves have gone yellow and all the spring onions look withered...NOT SO SMUG NOW :(

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2010, 08:33 »
I was feeling quite smug that everything on the plot was coming along nicely, admitedly the soft fruit (other than strawberries!!) is few and far between but the bushes were only planted last Autumn, then today (missed yesterday) I found that all my pak choi and mooli have bolted, caterpillars have decimated my brassicas, the tomato leaves have gone yellow and all the spring onions look withered...NOT SO SMUG NOW :(

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:(so sorry.

Will1983

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2010, 20:39 »
this all sounds quite familiar..
i lifted my garlic earlier in the week and every single 1 of them was smaller than a golf ball.. all usable though just not very big or split into cloves..

also all my spinach bolted. my sweetcorn are still only about 14" tall, my peas have hardly grown at all since planting out and the pigeons have battered my brassicas!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2010, 20:40 »

i lifted my garlic earlier in the week and every single 1 of them was smaller than a golf ball.. all usable though just not very big or split into cloves..

my sweetcorn are still only about 14" tall, my peas have hardly grown at all since planting out and the pigeons have battered my brassicas!

You and me both  :(
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

boosh

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2010, 21:03 »
I am happy with my garlic crop, But my Charlotte spuds have been non exsistent due to the Fox on our site. and its moved onto the Anyas.  >:(  :(:tongue2: to the Fox

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2010, 21:07 »
Biggest failure has been my courgettes. Bought expensive seed - £3 for 6 seeds and only 1 germinated and still has no flowers :(
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it....

Will1983

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2010, 21:16 »
oh my courgettes are my one major success!!! already had 3 decent sized ones off the plant planted in my compost heap and theres loads more on their way on other plants dotted around the plot..

oh forgot to say in my previous post, my cucumbers, chillis and tomatoes have all been a disappointment. its my fault though i didnt pot them on early enough and they all became pot bound.

xx
fed up with failures

Started by sachkrimbo on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 09:47
by potatogrower
xx
Carrot failures

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post September 17, 2023, 20:16
by Anton
xx
Allium successes and failures

Started by Chiswickian on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 22:39
by Chiswickian
xx
Remembering successes and failures?

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2013, 10:45
by Kristen

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 32 queries.