Bestest gravy recipes

• 25 Replies

Ice

• muck spreader
Bestest gravy recipes
« on: December 21, 2006, 20:26 »
Good, well made gravy is probably the nectar of the gods to me :D .  Would anyone like to share their secrets?  Here is how I make chicken gravy.  If anyone can improve on it please do so.  Other meats included.

In a roasting tray I put onion slices, garlic cloves, carrot, and fresh thyme.  The chicken then sits on top and roasted until done.  Then I remove the chicken and put roasting tray over flame to fry veg for a minute or two.  Then I add a glass of white wine and boil (not compulsory).  Strain veg and juices through a sieve and force all goodness through using a wooden spoon and return to tray.  Turn down the heat and add a tablespoon of flour, stir it in and fry gently for a minute.  Then, stirring, I add chicken stock and simmer for a couple of minutes.  

Mum used to roast beef until it was well done, whack up the heat and put the yorkshire pudding around it so you ended up with charred beef and the yorkie infused with all the beef juices.  Heaven, though the gravy was out of a packet.  I like my beef overcooked even now :oops:

Ps, at the age of 50 I have gone back to college to train as a chef so please help me get a good grade this year with all your tips :wink:
Cheese makes everything better.

hayles62

• Experienced Member
Bestest gravy recipes
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 20:40 »
Always add Celery and I sort of Bain marie my meat by sticking it on a wire rack just above the water and whatever you add to it so the steam keeps it moist and the juices don't evaporate as much. I like those hand blitzers to., other than that lots of Garlic and onions :wink:

muntjac

Bestest gravy recipes
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 20:46 »
i have to say the most beutiful delicous gravy i have ever tasted was in coventry at paul decostinou's fish and chip bar ....... it was maggies gravy .i have searched ,,,,yeh i searched for it on the net to be able to get some ,,, i do my gravy in the roasting tin after i remove the meat adding the corn flour  also half an oxo cube in it . water from a boiling kettle .yumyum.
still alive /............

Ice

• muck spreader
Bestest gravy recipes
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 20:53 »
Karl, that's exactly how my mum made her gravy :D  She was a very good cook and my dad grew all our veg and ferreted and poached loads of good food too back in the sixties and seventies.  Yeah, roadkill was often on the menu then. :wink:

Denise

muntjac

Bestest gravy recipes
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 20:57 »
justaaaa likea momma used to make  :wink: best cooks are taught by thier mommas  :D

shaun

Bestest gravy recipes
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 20:59 »
same as karl but also a dollop of mash potato and or well cooked cauli-flower i like bits in my gravy  :wink:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Flower

Bestest gravy recipes
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 20:59 »
A nice glass of  medium dry sherry or a sparkly little wine. Sometimes 2 glasses of sherry and a bit for the gravy . Or a very large glass of wine and a bit for the gravy. tHE GRAVY CAN ALWAYS WAIT A BIT WHILE YOU CAN TOP UP THE SHERRY. Actually the           gravy tastes so much better with a little glazing of the wine.Or whatever yotu happen to be drinking at the time. Actually if its beef you can put it at its highest heat to sear it all round but you dont want it to be anything other than a bit pinky inside and let it rest for half an hour in a warm plce while you relax with a nice glass of sparkly wine             . A Merry Christmas

Ice

• muck spreader
Bestest gravy recipes
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 21:08 »
Hi Flower.  The O'Brien family used to wait in a warm place with a lot of wine and sherry while the beef incinerated.  Hic :wink:

Flower

Bestest gravy recipes
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 22:08 »
I 'm a little bit Irish myself and I patticularly enjoy a nice glass , well I was enjoying a sherry  but the glass is half empty.My eldest son is a xcheff, and tyhe youngest ia s a consultant something or     other. I wille ndevour to ask no1 son about the gravyas soon as I have osrtwed  oaut the sherry

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Bestest gravy recipes
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 08:34 »
Maggies? isnt that the stuff all the BAOR lads used to rave about? It crops up regular in online discussions about what sauce to put on egg banjos. Think you can still get it but most likely only in germany. Maybe netto or lidl might get it in
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

muntjac

Bestest gravy recipes
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 11:25 »
dont know mate i could never find it i managed to get a chip bag full from paul but thats it .its made in the uk i think :roll: .. but by whom <<<<< see a grammmer attack ..... i dont know

freyaluck

Bestest gravy recipes
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 11:26 »
ummm gravy   I lurrve my gravy.

Do you have a large slow cooker  no well then go and buy one if you wont then tough you aint gonna get to try it :tongue2:  :lol:
Everynow and then I slowcook a chicken- organic free range is best.  
Put a pint of nice white wine and a 1/2 pint of water in the bottom of the sloww cooker. get 2 large onions and chop in half place them in the bottom of your s/c for the chook to sit on. add roughly 5 whole peeled cloves of garlic. chuck the lid on and cook for 6-8 hours.    
The chook is yummy, but the gravy better :wink:
once the chook is done you are left with yummy juices all mixed and marinated.  I add 2 tablespoons of plain flour or 1 of cornflour per 3/4 pint.
Their is loads of gravy left at the end usually enough to 2-3 large batches, whatevers left can be frozen for another day, I always have a tub in the freezer.      need a drooling smiley LOL
think its banger and mash for tea tonight.  
Frey

Ice

• muck spreader
Bestest gravy recipes
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 14:10 »
Oooooooooooooh! :)  Like the sound of that Freyaluck.  Definately going to give it a go soon.  Similar to mine, but sounds like it should taste even better and there is more of it too.
Denise

Ice

• muck spreader
Bestest gravy recipes
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2006, 14:29 »
Karl.  Maggi stock and gravy powder is made by the evil Nestle company and you can probably buy it on 'tinternet.

muntjac

Bestest gravy recipes
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2006, 14:31 »
corrrrrrrrrrrrrr ,,, hows did u find that out ? u got one them there ya crystal balls fings ?
thanks a loadddddd

xx
Gravy

Started by Yorkie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

22 Replies
Last post January 05, 2012, 20:03
by snowdrops
xx
gravy

Started by azubah on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

17 Replies
Last post October 15, 2014, 18:10
by barley
xx
yummy gravy

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post February 05, 2012, 14:11
by Ice
xx
maggi's gravy

Started by muntjac on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post October 25, 2007, 19:54
by muntjac

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 28 queries.