new council rule banning home made sheds and greenhouses

• 31 Replies

AnneB

Our local council has just issued a new allotment policy and they are asking for feedback.  I don't think much of it will be printable as they want to ban home made sheds and greenhouses (there is no mention of polytunnels at all).   The policy doesn't say if existing structures will have to be removed, but lots of people have spent quite a bit of time, money on materials and effort to erect what in the main are excellent structures.

Not everyone has the funds to buy a new commercially made shed or greenhouse, particularly if they are subject to regular vandalism.

I just wondered if anyone else had come across such a policy?

8doubles

Re: new council rule banning home made sheds and greenhouses
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 01:55 »
I think the UK homemade allotment shed adds a lot of character to the sites.

It will be a sad day if they go!

Has one of the councillors got shares in a shed manufacturers ? :nowink:

archibtbm

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 05:56 »
IMHO existing structures would only need to be taken down if they are dilapidated and dangerous, some on my site fit that description.  Our plots are can have a Greenhouse of 8x6 and a shed no bigger than 8x6.   I replaced a 8 x 6 greenhouse with a 10 x 20 Poly tunnel, which was done after a conversation with the allotment officer detailing the reasons why.  I do not grow acres of cabbages\potatoes as the old boys do, I grow tomatoes\chilies\ melons which grow better in a GH or PT.  The council came back saying the measurements were guidelines and providing 80% of the plot is cultivated, they were happy.   

I would say It is worth checking everything in the new policy as there was a rule in ours that nothing could be grown within a foot of an adjacent plot, in effect 200 feet which was not taken into account :-)

I agree with 8doubles that the variety across sites adds to the character and appeal,

John did a piece on french allotments, the uniformity is eugh!  http://allotment-garden.org/garden-diary/1046/french-allotments]french-allotment-1/

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 07:09 »
Many home made sheds are better than bought ones as they recycle windows, doors and roof panels, and do not rely on using new and often imported timber.

But then, i would ask, what is a home made shed as many new ones comes flat pack and need to be 'Made Up' on site by the plot holder so are therefore Home Made.
If i built up a flat pack shed is would be a right ramshackle structure.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 23:17 »
Yep, our council tried it but they had no hat to hang the rule on so it got chucked out. They can't make up planning rules as much as they'd like. Sheds and greenhouses come under Planning and provided they are the right size then there's no case to answer. They'll just be trying it on

We are members of NSALG and a quick phone call to them allayed our fears

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 23:29 »
They tried to make us nice and neat and uniform by saying that the sheds all have to be painted with B.S. whatever number paint but in five years I haven't noticed any change in shed colouring. There are fewer ramshackle buildings about nowadays, which I think has more to do with the change in plotholder's occupations from manual workers to more professional and clerical workers, than anything the committee have decreed.
Anne

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 06:55 »
I'd like to see them try that on our site lol sheds are unique on ours, it used to bother me all those wonky tatty sheds but one day I just fell in love wth all that wonky creations. Its all part of the love that goes into allotments.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 09:51 by Beetroot Queen »

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 06:57 »

There are fewer ramshackle buildings about nowadays, which I think has more to do with the change in plotholder's occupations from manual workers to more professional and clerical workers,

Surely the sheds are still put up by manual workers ? :D

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 09:12 »

There are fewer ramshackle buildings about nowadays, which I think has more to do with the change in plotholder's occupations from manual workers to more professional and clerical workers,

Surely the sheds are still put up by manual workers ? :D
I think they are more DIY-ers, so though the sheds don't look ramshackle yet, give them time... :D :D  (Speaking from personal experience here.. :nowink: )

Martin the Mug

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 13:41 »
We're not allowed sheds or greenhouses of any sort  :(

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 13:53 »
you can ask to see the  by-law that refers to the ban, at your town hall.  Allotment law can't be ignored.  You have to assert your rights.   We are members of Nsalg and they know the ins and outs of what's allowed.  We've overruled all sorts of our council's nonsense.  We got letters telling us we were not being allowed to grow raspberry trees😁 

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 15:36 »

It will be " Thumbs down the seams of your gardening trousers and stand by your seed beds you orrible lot next ::)

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

LotuSeed

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 16:09 »
We're not allowed sheds or greenhouses of any sort  :(

That's how it is with community gardens here.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 19:20 »
They are talking of doing exactly the same on our allotment. No home built sheds or greenhouses, Mind you we have never been allowed to have a shed or a greenhouse, the rules say that nothing can be taller that 1 mtr, they are looking at changing the rules so it would not be as bad for us. Mind you it could take them a few years to change the rules. It would make a lot of difference to our site.
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 19:31 »
   We are members of Nsalg and they know the ins and outs of what's allowed.  We've overruled all sorts of our council's nonsense.  We got letters telling us we were not being allowed to grow raspberry trees😁
That's mad!

xx
Home made hot bed

Started by bravemurphy on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post January 30, 2014, 13:04
by Goosegirl
xx
Home-made polytunnel

Started by Pyrkie on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 12:57
by Pyrkie
xx
Home made cloches

Started by Kajazy on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post May 30, 2011, 16:25
by Plot18
xx
home made incubator mk2

Started by naturesparadise on Design and Construction

0 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 20:52
by naturesparadise

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 32 queries.