Hosepipe

• 10 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Hosepipe
« on: August 19, 2013, 12:13 »
Please can anyone recommend a hosepipe that really doesn't kink..........

I have one on a reel that is beginning to kink really badly, making the connection pop off of the reel. Usually when I'm at the other end of the garden, so I have to run back to turn the tap off  ::)

I keep cutting out the bit that kinks and using a joint, but I'm getting to the stage that I have more joints than hose  ::) Help!

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Hosepipe
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 12:31 »
I've a 50m silver/yellow striped hoselock one on a wheelie-reel - it kinks when I have twisted it, but not otherwise.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 12:33 »
What type have you got at the moment Mum?

I find the common type with (green with white braided reinforcement) works fine - kinking is usually due to the habit of putting a twist (or more than one twist  ::)) into the hose - don't know how it happens but it does!  ::)

Using a trigger spray so the pipe is full of pressurised water when dragging it around helps to prevent kinking.

I find the end connectors are the biggest problem - I've splashed out on brass ones now which seem to be much better behaved than any of the plastic ones, although a 2-way plastic connector for the tap (I've got 2 hoses) was an absolute bargain from Wilkos - a couple of years old and still going strong.

Not tried it, but this product seems to offer the possibility of better kink resistance.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

BobE

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 12:42 »
I use the auto reels.  B&Q had the hoselock 60M one in for £60.  It works and rewinds itself.  Worth the money I think.
I can't find that offer on the B&Q website. So I think its finished, but I still like the autoreels.

rHPUsPtVKX4
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 12:48 by BobE »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 13:03 »
It's a yellow Ultimate Hozelock one - and was supposed to be non-kink  :dry:
Ho hum !
I have a green one, with white braiding, in the shed, but I never used it cos it is so stiff it doesn't want to unwind  :blink:

Perhaps I just need a new one, it must be about 5 years old, by now  ::)

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 13:05 »
A kink free hose, errrrm not mine then, we have to join three together to reach the bottom plot. All donated and second hand from other people. Now you know why we have kids. Hehe kink runners  :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 13:47 »
It's a yellow Ultimate Hozelock one - and was supposed to be non-kink  :dry:
Ho hum !
I have a green one, with white braiding, in the shed, but I never used it cos it is so stiff it doesn't want to unwind  :blink:

Perhaps I just need a new one, it must be about 5 years old, by now  ::)

I would have thought that the more anti-kink the hose is supposed to be, the stiffer it is and therefore harder to manoeuvre round obstacles (you may not have any, but I certainly have!)
Mine won't have been expensive ('cos I is a cheapskate) but it's at least 6 or 7 years old, lives off the reel all summer exposed to all the elements, and is still wonderfully floppy!  8)  ;)

I hope that whatever you decide as a replacement you won't be investing in the coiled type - you need Herculean strength to fully uncoil them, and they still tie themselves in knots - what a brilliant idea they were (are?!)  :nowink:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 16:08 »
We also have the green braided sort, and I find that leaving it out all summer means the water in it warms a bit (some days at least) and so makes it more easy to manage. It is about 25m long and so gets dragged around all over the place... I seem to able to manage it, just having to back track occasionally when the water mysteriously ceases to flow as it has kinked completely.

It is drained out for the winter, coiled up in one of those big plastic trugs and kept in the shed.

Bought it in Payless originally, about 3 yrs ago.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Lardman

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 18:14 »
I had a couple of these Yellow Hose bought after getting fed up with the coil hose and the green garden hoses.

They're left out all year and in all weathers, including the silly winters we have had.  I've had to cut the end off a couple of times after it ballooned in the heat but that all. It's not kink proof but it's considerably better than others I've used.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 18:22 »
I can't leave it unwound all summer, much as that would make things easier - cos the garden is the other side of the public footpath to my front door - can't risk tripping people up :blink:

Thanks all for the suggestions  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 20:13 »
Could you leave it unrolled in the garden & have a small piece that you join on when you need to use it that goes over the footpath & then you pack that small piece away after use.I find if you leave it in the sun that should un-stiffen it
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 20:16 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Hosepipe ban ?

Started by Petite graine on Equipment Shed

17 Replies
Last post August 01, 2007, 14:33
by Aunt Sally
xx
Hosepipe adaptors

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post June 28, 2017, 19:49
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Hosepipe connector confusion

Started by fuchsia on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post January 20, 2015, 09:39
by Kristen
xx
Coiled/spiral/bounceback hosepipe

Started by arugula on Equipment Shed

16 Replies
Last post June 05, 2012, 20:08
by JayG

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 37 queries.