slug control question

• 28 Replies

mashauk

slug control question
« on: December 08, 2007, 13:35 »
I've just read this in an old Permaculture magazine and wondered if anyone had tried it, and what the results were.

To protect seedlings put a bottle with both ends cut off round the plant (I tried this but it didn't make much difference) but I didn't do this part:  put a band of 50/50 vaseline/petroleum jelly and salt round it, sounds good. The person said it lasted ages and worked.  I suppose I'd be worried about the salt getting in the ground though but may give it a try next year.

mushroom

slug control question
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 13:41 »
I have a load of plastic bottles with the bottoms cut off, for this purpose. Never used the salt/vaseline thing though, I just rely on the bottle protecting the plant.

Rob the rake

slug control question
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 15:12 »
I can't imagine any bother from the small amount of salt you'd be using.
My plot gets loads of unwashed seaweed on it every year with no ill effects. Nice idea by the way.

Rob. :D
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

mashauk

slug control question
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 15:13 »
Thanks, I'll give it a try then, as the bottles on their own didn't seem to work very well for me.

WG.

slug control question
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 15:15 »
Coffee grounds are supposed to be good against slugs.  Plus they add some humus.

Free of charge from Starbucks.

mashauk

slug control question
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 16:03 »
I tried eggshells but that didn't work either, may try the coffee grounds too.

Rob the rake

slug control question
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 16:06 »
Slugs,water,bucket,ferment,water on soil,result!

Rob. :D

mashauk

slug control question
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 17:23 »
I'll start collecting them from my living room then, they come up through the gaps in the floorboards overnight and leave their delightful slime all over anything that's on the floor, I don't often catch them, they seem to disappear by the morning, but I did nearly have a nasty accident tripping over one in the middle of the night when I came downstairs to use the bathroom, nice!  My cat, naturally, totally ignores them.

WG.

slug control question
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 17:25 »
Quote from: "mashauk"
I'll start collecting them from my living room then, they come up through the gaps in the floorboards overnight and leave their delightful slime all over anything that's on the floor, I don't often catch them, they seem to disappear by the morning, but I did nearly have a nasty accident tripping over one in the middle of the night when I came downstairs to use the bathroom, nice!  My cat, naturally, totally ignores them.
REALLY!!

You need to get that checked - it should be too dry for slugs to live under a house.

Rob the rake

slug control question
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 17:28 »
I had a similar accident with a puppy plop. Wakes you up in a hurry, doesn't it? :D
Have you tried brushing salt down the cracks? :twisted:

mkhenry

slug control question
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 18:19 »
Slug pubs,vasiline,egg shells,grit,coffee grounds.and every other method you can think of will only give limited results.
Slugs and snails get over under and through every defence oganic defence you put up.
So try diversionary tatics. Grow plants that they are known to like,place old tiles on your plot that they like to hide under, and walk around collecting them from these places.
Always look were they may hide during the day and above all keep your lottie area clean and free from depris(unless thats were you want to collect them from.
Last put not least encourage the hedgehog to patrol you patch he and Mrs hedgehog will eat a lot more than you can catch. :lol:  :wink:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

mashauk

slug control question
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 18:44 »
Unfortunately there aren't any hedgehogs, apparently there used to be but not any more.

mashauk

slug control question
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 18:47 »
Quote from: "WG."
REALLY!!

You need to get that checked - it should be too dry for slugs to live under a house.

By who?  I had a damp problem a couple of years ago that was fixed as far as I know, I've put slug pellets through the cracks in the floorboard and haven't seen any for a while now, my floorboards need replacing but I can't afford it at the moment, I have a Victorian terraced house that's bleeding me dry :(

WG.

slug control question
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 18:53 »
By who?  I had a damp problem a couple of years ago that was fixed as far as I know, I've put slug pellets through the cracks in the floorboard and haven't seen any for a while now, my floorboards need replacing but I can't afford it at the moment, I have a Victorian terraced house that's bleeding me dry :(

Maybe the firm who 'fixed' the problem for you?  Was the work guaranteed?   I don't want to be alarmist but slugs under a house seems very unusual to me.  The slugs won't cause any problems but the dampness they need to live surely will.

A reputable timber preservation company might be willing to do a free survey for you ???

mashauk

slug control question
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 18:59 »
Thanks, I'll look into it.

xx
Slug control for allotment - Slug gone or wool loft insulation?

Started by composthappens on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 14:32
by composthappens
xx
Slug control

Started by Spudman on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 20, 2012, 00:46
by viettaclark
xx
Slug control

Started by Snowboar on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 24, 2021, 12:17
by rowlandwells
question
slug control

Started by mobaker on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 02, 2009, 21:55
by Bigbadfrankie

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 28 queries.