Look who I picked up today.

• 49 Replies

allotmentann

Re: Look who I picked up today.
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2013, 07:01 »
Ah! He is lovely Lardman. He must feel great to have a new home.  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 07:59 »
Has he got a name yet, I thought in the night? :ohmy: what about Monty, I could see him wearing a beret.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2013, 19:50 »
he is gorgeous, glad he seems to have fitted in quite well :), have you tried putting some treats inside a kong toys (the black ones are for strong chewers). Also if he proves to be a very strong chewer then try getting him a coconut - just take some of the rough hairs off it otherwise they will be all over the floor. Old jeans knotted  make good toys too. If you do get him a stag bar and find that he isn't that interested then try soaking it in water for a while  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Lardman

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2013, 22:40 »
Has he got a name yet

He likes Max. I think it fits him and he answers to it  :)

All the treats I have fall out of the kong (I bought the black one  ;) ) I've read peanut butter inside is good ?  He's been very good and not chewed anything yet, although he was pretty cross with the bannister brush when he found it under the chair  :D

Everything has changed so much since Barnie - I've spent much of the last 4 days researching food, toys and treats.  :ohmy: It's really complicated but he doesn't seem to be bothered at all that I've spent hours checking recipes for arden grange, wainwrights and james wellbeloved and the merits of BARF.   :nowink:

Even is this short time he looks better but Id like to put some meat on him so he looks less like a toast rack and improve his coat which is a little threadbare.

compostqueen

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2013, 22:56 »
Don't worry about his food too much. Just enjoy him  :)  If he was from the rescue he will have eaten what he was given.  He might not know yet how to play but give him time as it's all new

A kong stuffed with small meal or kibble and peanut butter (low fat/sugar) is good and you bung it all in and freeze it. It will keep him occupied if you need to leave him for a short time while you do something else.  Make sure first though that he can tolerate peanut butter as you want to be sure he's not allergic!  He's only a baby so it might not be suitable for him yet

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2013, 00:11 »
All my dogs are fed on raw ( barf) I cant praise the benefits more. Check out website natural instinct.  Raw mince frozen in a kong makes a great treat too   ;) any info you want on raw feeding ile answer any questions  ;) glaf to here he likes his new name.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2013, 14:55 »
most rescues feed complete dry food which is good for their teeth as well as providing everything the dog needs.
I had a GSD that was fed on a barf diet but sadly this didn't agree with her and she suffered with a bad skin complaint through a lack of minerals and oils. We got her onto dry food and she recovered quite quickly.
If you do decide to change his diet do so over a week or two and do it gradually :)

snowdrops

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2013, 15:14 »
My son feeds his Airedale on completely dry food,fish for dogs I think it is called,she is in lovely condition & has boundless energy :D

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2013, 23:19 »
Raw feeding takes a bit of research of course dogs dont live purely off meat there diet needs supplementing with other things as joyfull said. Natural instinct that i recommended is a good starting point as its comes as a completeraw meal. Once you have a good understanding what the dog needs you can feed whole bones meat etc. My dogs wont touch dog food anymore  ::) there are also some great dog foods now on the market and just because i praise raw i am not against good quality dog food and as joyfull says what suits one dog may not suit another. You may find you try several different types before finding one that suits you and your dog. Like i say feel free to ask any questions about raw. Snowdrops suggested fish4dogs which is a very good complete food. I would also suggest a grain free food as dogs cannot properly digest grain and it has no benefit to them and before turningto raw i had some hefty vet bills due to allergies which seem all too common in dog foods containing grains. :)

Agatha

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2013, 11:56 »
Glad 'Max' is settling in.  Hope you find a food that he likes soon - but don't worry too much about the recipes- as long as he eats it & is healthy, it's ok!  I fed a previous dog on BARF & he did really well on it, but my Bonnie didn't get on with it at all - I tried her on all the fancy 'hypoallergenic' stuff too & she kept being sick.  Finally a friend recommended Wagg, which is really cheap and gets appalling reviews on some of the doggy websites, but Bon loves it, has only been sick twice in 2.5 years of eating it (compared to 1-2 times a week on BARF, Wellbeloved etc) and is brimming with health and energy.
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Chrysalis

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2013, 18:45 »
I have a friend who feeds hers on dry stuff, but both her last dog and current puppy have had tummy trouble.  This is despite the vet's recommendation.  :(

Ours is a rescue patterdale-cum-daschund  :) who just eats P.Chum tinned meat and puppy bite-size mixer.  He loves it and is never sick, looks well and bounds around.

I guess it's just a case of trying things.

anymore pics?? :nowink:

Lardman

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2013, 22:12 »
Hope you find a food that he likes soon

He'll eat anything by the looks of it, it's more a question of what I should be feeding him.  :) I couldn't do wet dog food, the smell gets me, Im the same with tinned cat food. I've had him on wainwrights duck and rice, he loves it and it's not a problem to clear up after him (if you know what I mean) which is a much better than when he first arrived.  I've also bought him a few tins of pilchards to mix in to the kibble.

anymore pics?? :nowink:

Plenty - but there are only so many times you can post a picture of a sleeping dog  :D

Lardman

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2013, 22:22 »
How about this one ?

It's his 'Take the camera out of my face - it's dinner time' expression.
8.jpg

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2013, 23:29 »
If hes doing well on wainwrights and it suits you I would stick to it if its not broke why fix it and he certainly doesnt look unhealthy hes a right cutey  :)

madcat

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2013, 09:25 »
How about this one ?

It's his 'Take the camera out of my face - it's dinner time' expression.

Its either dinner time, sleep time or walk time.  To a dog - is there any other time?   :lol:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

xx
It's International Cat Day Today

Started by mumofstig on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post August 10, 2017, 11:27
by meriad
clip
Rufus went today

Started by John on Pets without Feathers

12 Replies
Last post February 19, 2024, 18:24
by Yorkie
xx
bought some new fish today

Started by sunshineband on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2011, 19:51
by sunshineband
xx
Miki has been neutered today

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

10 Replies
Last post February 13, 2012, 21:29
by Oliveview

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 28 queries.