glyphosate

• 59 Replies

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
glyphosate
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2007, 17:43 »
I used to work in residue analysis at Shell Research, Sittingbourne (now closed  :roll: )

With the amounts of chemical you are likely to use on an allotment to control initial and resistant perennial weeds the residues would be minuscule and not worth worrying about  :!:

Trust Aunty - she used to be a chemist  :lol:  :shock:

WG.

glyphosate
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2007, 18:26 »
If you are going to use glyphosate, DO PLEASE get the dosage correct or Aunty's residues could go off-scale.  We've had posts on this very forum where someone bought enough to treat 3 acres instead of 5 rods!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
glyphosate
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2007, 18:28 »
Seconded there WG  :!:  :D

WG.

glyphosate
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2007, 19:44 »
Quote from: "john"
organic taliban
Merely extending your own metaphor, John - the vast majority of Muslims disown the Taleban ...

According to your Poll on http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=868, a sizable minority of our members are completely organic.  I don't recall any strident, overbearing posts from any of them.

Equally, I only recall one strident, overbearing individual from the 'other' persuasion and we dumped him PDQ.

My only real point is that I know of no other forum where folks are happy to teach their methods and not preach their methods.  Long may it continue.

And I haven't used this graphic for a wee while so here goes since it seems appropriate ...

Contadino

• Experienced Member
glyphosate
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2007, 20:41 »
Interestingly, here in Italy, you are obliged as a landowner to display the brand of weedkiller applied to land (so that for example meandering goatherds don't go inadvertently poisoning their herd.)  Within a few km of our house there are two plots (1 of 5ha, and 1 of 1ha) that have been treated with roundup last Autumn.  They are both currently under about 6ft of weeds.

From one perspective, this tells me that the dodgy chemicals are indeed inert after a short time.  From another, it tells me that the dodgy chemicals are ineffective and require repeated application (rather like dodgy patches to Microshaft software - you gotta keep on payin'.)

Either way, they're not for me (or the land that I manage.)  Choices, eh?  :roll:

Edit: The irony of using the verb 'to treat' with applying weedkiller to soil has just struck me.  PR's a strange thing innit?  Maybe if the verb 'to brutalise' or 'to nuke' were used instead people would be more conscious of their actions...?

corndolly

• Experienced Member
glyphosate
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2007, 21:00 »
Contadino .... very wise words , we should all act responsibly in our use of the land, we are only borrowing it , after all.
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

gobs

glyphosate
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2007, 21:41 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
I used to work in residue analysis at Shell Research, Sittingbourne (now closed  :roll: )

With the amounts of chemical you are likely to use on an allotment to control initial and resistant perennial weeds the residues would be minuscule and not worth worrying about  :!:

Trust Aunty - she used to be a chemist  :lol:  :shock:

My only question is Aunty, if so many billions of people around the world get this advice and act upon it, would there be still no worries about residual effects? :?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Babycat

• Experienced Member
Interesting
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2007, 22:12 »
Following this with great interest as weedkilled a large area of my plot in September using a glyp based product.  I am not planting anything on the area until March/April at the earliest and the site has since been harrowed thoroughly and manured.

Ultimately, we have little control of the integrity of the soil on new plots as few know what goes on before.  My own plot was grassed for years but people used to turn their cars around when leaving the plot - arguably but unlikely I could be exposed to tiny amounts of diesel, petrol and oil residues? One of the plots up the other end is off limits for however many years because some genius decided to burn electrical goods  :shock:

Anyone concerned about organic - tread carefully in the kitchen  :wink:  Aspartame K is the numero uno evil of the century and by far more prolific than a bit of glyp.

Be safe

x Gina
"This too shall pass"  King Solomon

gobs

glyphosate
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2007, 22:32 »
Well, Baby, what additive is in what stuff, is little concern to me, since I've been growing most we eat without  glyp or any other stuff. Part of th reason really.

A great concern though for the food sold in our world.

Rob the rake

glyphosate
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2007, 22:45 »
Here's the lowdown on Aspartame, for those who are interested.
I'm not claiming that this is the full picture, but it makes hair-raising reading nevertheless.

http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/sepp/2007/04/17/new_study_by_ramazzini_institute_confirms_aspartame_carcinogenic.htm

Rob.
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
glyphosate
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2007, 22:48 »
Quote from: "WG."
Quote from: "john"
organic taliban
Merely extending your own metaphor, John - the vast majority of Muslims disown the Taleban ...

According to your Poll on http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=868, a sizable minority of our members are completely organic.  I don't recall any strident, overbearing posts from any of them.

Equally, I only recall one strident, overbearing individual from the 'other' persuasion and we dumped him PDQ.

My only real point is that I know of no other forum where folks are happy to teach their methods and not preach their methods.  Long may it continue.

Now come on, be fair - twits come from all walks of life.  

I wasn't actually thinking of people on here - as I think you know you organic shmanic beardy weirdy you (scottish contingent)  :tongue2:
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Hampshire Hog

glyphosate
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2007, 23:16 »
Interesting discussion on use of chemicals. I understand concerns about residues but as Aunt Sally says likely to be modest if used sparingly on hard to shift weeds. Also worth remembering that when it comes to feeding ground organically you are merely delivering chemicals into the soil by another name. I would prefer to use horse manure than growmore (& do) as it does more than just raise fertility but as a chemist I recognise that I essentially I am adding chemicals in one form or another.

Cheers HH
Keep digging

WG.

glyphosate
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2007, 23:18 »
Even water is a chemical HH  :wink:

Hampshire Hog

glyphosate
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2007, 23:25 »
Good point

I hope you only add the purest water to your malt!

Cheers HH

WG.

glyphosate
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2007, 23:28 »
Yup and only a wee touch of it at that.

When asked, "Water in your whisky John?", my father would always reply, "Half and half please with plenty of water"  :lol:

xx
Glyphosate

Started by engineer on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 27, 2017, 11:21
by New shoot
xx
glyphosate?

Started by Paul Rhodes on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post March 20, 2012, 22:28
by richrua
xx
after using glyphosate?

Started by julietmaria on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post November 11, 2013, 20:11
by BabbyAnn
xx
No Glyphosate R....up

Started by sunnywillow on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 29, 2020, 22:25
by sunnywillow

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 36 queries.