Help! What to do with bare rooted currants?

• 3 Replies

sazhig

Help! What to do with bare rooted currants?
« on: February 03, 2011, 15:02 »
As a pressie my Mum has ordered me a load of offers from the Gardener's World Magazine this year and a black currant and red currant have just arrived in the post this afternoon  :D

Only trouble is...I'm not sure what to do with them. I realise I need to get them planted asap...but the question is where :unsure:

The plot isn't ready for planting at all as it's completely waterlogged and mostly frozen still. Do you think they'd be OK in a spare bit of ground in my garden until I can finish the bed they'll be in at the allotment? Or would it be better to put them in pots/growing sacks to minimise the root disruption when the bed is finished at the allotment?

I've not grown currants before so any tips/experience would be very welcome  :)
Saz

gillie

Re: Help! What to do with bare rooted currants?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 16:24 »
I think it depends on how long you need to keep them before planting in their final places.

If it is only a few weeks then temporary planting (it is called heeling in) in your garden will be fine.  If you need to keep them for some months then potting them up would be preferable.

Give the roots a good soaking before planting anywhere.

Currants are pretty easy to grow, but will need netting (especially the red currant) if you are to get to the crop before the birds do.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 18:03 »
What a lovely mum you have  :)

Fruit benefits from a bit of soil preparation, so dig over your fruit patch well and dig in lots of composted farmyard manure or home made compost if you have it.  If you buy bags of manure from the garden centre, get a couple extra and use them as a mulch over the soil surface after you have planted the fruit.  It pays dividends to give them an annual mulch each winter thereafter. 

sazhig

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 21:40 »
Thank you you for the tips. It might be a more than a few weeks before the ground is ready as a lot depends on the weather (and my DH's schedule as my pregnant pelvis isn't up to doing much heavy stuff atm) ...so I might put them in pots, just need to find some big enough that have lasted the severe frosts we've had this winter. Will I need any particular compost or will any general purpose/home made stuff do?

I had another blackcurrant arrive today...but I was out so the daft posty shoved the parcel through the letter box and broke 2 of the stems off. Not happy  >:(

xx
How deep rooted are currants?

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 02, 2011, 13:40
by Dominic
xx
bare rooted leeks

Started by Sharon on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 30, 2008, 08:50
by gobs
xx
Bare rooted plants

Started by Geordie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 04, 2011, 18:10
by Salmo
xx
Bare rooted Raspberries

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 21, 2016, 17:37
by mdjlucan

Page created in 0.476 seconds with 39 queries.