Brussel sprouts

• 4 Replies

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
Brussel sprouts
« on: January 26, 2014, 02:04 »
Hi guys I was hoping you could help.

I have bought 2 types of seeds one green and one red, green are early crop red are late. What I am wondering is how many sprouts should I expect from one plant? I am trying to figure out how many I need to plant if I get that far this year :ohmy:

I probably shouldn't have even thought about buying the seeds let alone actually doing it. I am waiting on moving house so growing has been on hold for a year and with no move in sight I am hoping to grow what I can while waiting! I was also wondering if I could grow them in a tub somehow? Only so I can transport them if I do move  :DNot sure that is going to be possible though  :D

Thanks in advance

BabbyAnn

Re: Brussel sprouts
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 07:17 »
I have bought 2 types of seeds one green and one red, green are early crop red are late. What I am wondering is how many sprouts should I expect from one plant?

It helps to know what the varieties are - some may be "dwarf" or F1 or open pollinated so may be more, or less, vigorous than expected.  Other factors come into play too such as weather and when they were sowed - sometimes the sprouts don't develop (at the top of the plant), sometimes they get big (at the bottom)  ::)

I've never counted sprouts on a stalk but a wild guesstimate would be about 25-40?

Most sprout plants can get quite tall (about 3-4 feet) with about a 3 feet spread at the top by the end of the growing season, so only really one plant per (large) tub and even then it really would need to be staked to prevent it rocking in the wind.  Don't forget to cover with a fine netting otherwise every cabbage white butterfly and pigeon will target the plants.  Could they be grown in tubs .... well, I grow mine in pots before planting out when well developed so I suppose it's possible but for the purpose of transporting mature plants, I'm not sure I'd bother TBH but that's my opinion  ;)

cadalot

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 08:40 »
Check out the Youtube Video on Plastic Crate Raised Bed - As he says at the end of the video when the guy moves he can take his raised bed with him. If using the ground I would go for fast growing quick crops - lettuce, radish, beetroot etc

EeKufjx1GZ8list=PLuRow5d03UPvs-N-zMDcwxpUy1YD7Aq7h

2014-01-26 Plastic Crate Raised Bed.jpg

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 10:57 »
Thanks guys I will check that video out later.

I won't be using the ground part of the reason I want to move is this house was built 10 years ago and so the garden is rubble with a dusting of top soil  :( I have thought about raised beds and I am sure they would look fab as I have a walled garden but I am reluctant to go to the expense if I am going to move so the video with ones I can transport seem a great idea  :)

The seeds I have bought are dimitri f1 and rubine f1

Many thanks

Lottiman

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 14:20 »
Just as a rough guide my cascade f1 sprouts kings seed, tend to top out at three and a half feet tall, and carry 60 sprouts average, one stalk is just right for us per meal.
Optimism probably a gardeners best tool.

xx
Brussel Sprouts?

Started by spud on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 15, 2024, 21:14
by Snow
xx
brussel sprouts

Started by mike0001 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 18, 2013, 18:51
by sunshineband
xx
brussel sprouts

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 17, 2012, 23:48
by viettaclark
xx
Brussel sprouts !!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 26, 2009, 14:45
by DD.

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 35 queries.