leafy tomatoes

• 14 Replies

lottielearner

leafy tomatoes
« on: July 07, 2009, 17:36 »
I have huge leaves on my tomatoe plants and lots of small green fruit, do you need to pick the leaves off for the sun to ripen the fruit? I've never grown any veg before, so apologies if a daft question :unsure:
Chuck it in - it won't grow in the packet!

Trillium

Re: leafy tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 18:44 »
Toms are notorious for putting on lots of extra leaf growth if there's been a lot of rain. I personally start picking off the lower leaves once flowers form or the fruit starts. To be safe, take off no more than half the plant's height in leaves until you better understand the mechanics of this type of pruning. The sun will ripen the fruit when its time and more energy will go into fruit size rather than leaves.

Lionel

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 18:50 »
Hi Lottie, there is no such thing as a daft question,only daft answers!.....I have been growing tomatoes successfully in my greenhouse for over 20 years,so I like to think that I have learned a little bit in that time!
                                                   Tomatoes do indeed have a lot of leaf growth,and I have found the following basic rules apply:-

1. Don't plant your tomatoes too close together,allow plenty of room for them to spread,it makes them much easier to care for,helps to avoid disease, and also looks better.

2. Feed and water regularly without overdoing it.

3. As the plant gets to about the third truss and has a lot of leaf growth,start removing the bottom leaves and gradually work upwards,but don't overdo it,remove perhaps one or two large leaves,leave it a day or two before removing any more off the same plant,you will probably find that the lower leaves will start to go yellow/brown after a while anyway....so don't be afraid to remove these.

4. Pinch out the the little side shoots that sprout up between the leaves and the main stem.

5. Pinch out the growing tip after 5 or 6 trusses,to encourage the fruit to swell and ripen.

Hope this helps....Good Luck!

DavidT

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 19:42 »
Lottie, only take off any dead or diseased leaves. The plant needs its leave to produce the energy needed to give good, healthy fruit. Tomatoes do not need light or sunshine to ripen, they need warmth. :D

Mitsy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 19:55 »
Its true they dont need sun. I've grew bush tomatoes in shade before  ;)
You have not lost the battle unless you quit :)

Michelle x

Walewein

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 21:26 »
Lottie, only take off any dead or diseased leaves. The plant needs its leave to produce the energy needed to give good, healthy fruit. Tomatoes do not need light or sunshine to ripen, they need warmth. :D

The plant however does not need all its leaves to produce the energy it needs. It is getting the balance right

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 01:26 »

The plant however does not need all its leaves to produce the energy it needs. It is getting the balance right
Good post..once the plant is established there are plenty of leaves for it to fulfill its duty. Removing the bottom leaves will not be a problem

(sorry to echo you but wanted to back you up on that point Walewein)
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 04:03 »
Its true they dont need sun. I've grew bush tomatoes in shade before  ;)

That's true but you still need light for the ripening to happen, and removing surplus leaves helps it happen a lot sooner. Toms will always put out far more leaves than they really need and the energy in this particular plant goes towards making the surplus rather than the fruit. So taking off a number of leaves is actually beneficial. But I wouldn't do it with any other plant.

chimaera

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 09:02 »
Never grown bush toms before and they are a lot bushier than I expected and have grown together into a 'hedge' because they are too close together. Would it be better to leave them or remove every other plant?
Charlie

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 09:22 »
Have you removed all the side shoots?  That will make a big difference
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

chimaera

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 18:46 »
These are bush varieties which are not supposed to be pinched out; that is why I got caught out with how wide the bus gets (I have only grown vine types before).

Charlie

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 18:59 »
Leave them and trim out about half the lower leaves. That will open them up to more air and sun.

Jodie A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 19:06 »
I'd say nip out at least half the foliage (I tend to do about 2/3rds), even if you only take out half the leaves, ie nip off the end of the leaf if you are a bit cautious.

Gives more air to circulate, insects get in there better, less chance of pests on leaves, less moisture/feed being used by the leaves, and the sun can get to them.

Toms are not by nature an annual plant or indeed climbing, they would much prefer to sprawl across the ground, but our location/climate/harvesting needs makes them one year wonders.

Give it a go, it also lets you put pots closer together in the greenhouse as the leaves aren't interfering with the space.

chimaera

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 09:55 »
Thanks, I'll try it. I think I will try to leave 3-4 trusses per plant and remove the branches that have few or no flowers on them.

Charlie

It just occurred to me that over half my plot only has plants from central of S America (I have a friend visiting from Mexico who should feel at home); toms, spuds, corn, squashes, runners, french beans etc.....

lottielearner

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 20:02 »
Thanks guys, sorry for delay I have only just found your responses!! ... (must book that computer course when I've finished with my toms!)  ::) :lol:

xx
leafy greens

Started by brownp on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 21:52
by DD.
xx
White leaves on leafy veg.

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 25, 2011, 17:31
by sunshineband
xx
fast growing and leafy

Started by upert on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 12, 2009, 20:51
by andreadon
xx
Help identifying odd leafy thing

Started by fibilou on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 04, 2008, 20:01
by gobs

Page created in 0.482 seconds with 38 queries.