Sweet potatoes

• 1 Replies

Roger of Lytham

Sweet potatoes
« on: December 14, 2017, 11:30 »
Hi all: have tried Sweet Potato "Beauregard" grown from slips in greenhouse for two seasons here on the Lancashire Fylde Coast. First year was useless, just masses of top growth. Second year, planted early as possible and got some eatable roots in late October, but more like chipolata sausages than potatoes. Maybe the growing season is just too short, or could be I didn't feed or water them enough. Has anyone else done better than this?
Roger

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Sweet potatoes
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 13:40 »
It was six years ago I tried growing sweet potatoes from slips grown from an (unnamed) supermarket tuber.

IIRC there were two rooted slips planted in a half bag of compost in the GH. I wrapped a black plastic bin liner round the bag to try to increase the amount of heat getting into the compost.

As you can see from the first pic, they grew well and threatened to take over the GH!  :ohmy:

Second pic shows the total crop - a couple of reasonably sized tubers but mostly a bit on the small and therefore rather fiddly side.

A long, hot growing season is what they really need, and the further north you are the harder it is to achieve that, even in a GH, but as with most crops which are a bit borderline in the UK, if you don't build your hopes up too much they are at least worth a try.

Edit: Note to self - if you want to avoid looking as if you don't know your right hand from your left remember that pictures are added from the left so the second one added is the first if you get my drift!  :lol:
Sweet potato crop.jpg
Sweet potato plant.jpg
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 13:52 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
Sweet potatoes

Started by tosca100 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 18, 2015, 20:28
by LotuSeed
xx
sweet potatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2017, 20:43
by Urbanite
xx
Sweet Potatoes

Started by Frog on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 06, 2008, 01:31
by Eristic

Page created in 0.478 seconds with 39 queries.