Really liking my tunnel crops

• 11 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Really liking my tunnel crops
« on: April 15, 2012, 20:40 »
I only put my tunnel up and put together the raised beds at the end of last year, so the only crops I'm actually picking so far are lettuce and radish. I am so enjoying them :) It's the first time in my life I've picked lettuce and radish that are absolutely perfect, not a single hole or nibble or blemish (apart from the lettuce my dog trampled on). I'm really looking forward to the tunnel crops to come.

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
Re: Really liking my tunnel crops
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 09:38 »
Im so jealous  :closedeyes: because I so want my own tunnel but, our lovely allotment society have done a brilliant job in getting funding for a huge community tunnel that anyone can use. Ive had a hand in getting it ready for use so Im going to be putting my chillis and sweet peppers in there soon. I just hope they dont get nicked!!  ???
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 09:43 »
You can do all sorts of leaves in there Shokky so don't limit yourself as there all loads of different mixes available and you can do your own mixing seed packets of the things you like best.  Oriental leaves do brilliantly as well don't forget!  :)

I am constantly sowing seed trays of salad and oriental leaf mixes in my unheated greenhouse (you don't need a polytunnel to do this) and then you always have a good supply of leaves to hand for your salad, sarni or stir fry. 

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 12:51 »
Yes, I've got 3 or 4 varieties of leaf going in there, both in the beds and in pots. I did initially think four 8X4 foot beds was plenty of space, but I keep thinking of more and more things to try in there and all of a sudden I wish it was twice as big. I've got new spuds in there as well, planted in February, a row of early mange tout and a few strawberry plants just to see how much earlier they crop.

In two of the beds I'm going to grow the tender stuff, cucumber, melon, tomato, aubergine, pepper, chilli, and one or two Parthenon courgettes just in case my outside plants are hit by appalling weather again, like they were last year. In the other two beds I'm going to try carrot, kohl rabi, celery, celeriac, Swiss chard, beetroot, swede, turnip, and toward the end of the year maybe try one or two plants of calabrese, cabbage, cauliflower. I've been reading the How to Grow Food in Your Polytunnel book, and it's really made me realise there's a lot more to a tunnel than just somewhere to grow tender plants in summer.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 19:31 »
That sounds fabulous shokky.

Ours is only 3m by 2m so I can't run to your variety, but parthenon courgettes were a huge success last year.

Come the late summer I shall sow some carrots to go with the lettuces etc I had this year  :D

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 20:14 »
I want to use this year to find out which things do well in there, which don't, which are too much trouble or too much space. So I'm just aiming to do a few plants of lots of different things, to see what works. At the end of summer I'm going to try some late sowings of beetroot, calabrese, cabbage, kohl rabi, onion, potato, peas and turnip, plus of course the salad stuff, either for overwinter crops or early crops the following spring. They might not work but I want to try to keep it in use through the winter as well, if I can. Obviously the soil will have its work cut out so I'll have to keep feeding it copious amounts of chicken manure, BFB and compost whenever I can.

Did you find the parthenon courgettes took up a lot of space in your tunnel? One thing I've noticed is that plants in pots or bags (spuds) seem to have quite a bit less protection from cold than the plants in the beds.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 20:24 »
Each parthenon plant grew to about 1.5 m across, and I planted them too close to the door really, so my legs often got scratched or leaves trodden on.

This year they are going right at the back  ::)

Autumn sown spring onions worked well too btw  :)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 20:41 »
Thanks, I didn't think of late sowing spring onions, I'll add those to the list :)

I'm thinking of trying Long Red Florence as an overwintering onion in there. I did read somewhere that variety can be used that way.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 20:46 »
Long Red Florence is a long daylight type shallot, so I am a bit surprised it has been recommended  :unsure:

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 21:09 »
My polytunnel book didn't say that, but I have seen that at one or two of the seed supplier websites, can't remember which though. I have to say that I've got seedlings going at the moment for Bedford Champion, Ailsa Craig, Silverskin and Long Red Florence, and of the four varieties I'd definitely say Long Red Florence was the least robust and hardy. So maybe I'd better find another variety for my overwinter trial.

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 21:17 »
Joy L covers polytunnel growing, and growing stuff over winter in her Veg Growing Handbook and it's a great read, available from the library too  :)

I grew a fab crop of the long red onion of Florence, it's a belter of an onion but not sure it would be the hardiest. The tops are long, bright green and lush and they get eaten as well.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 07:13 »
My polytunnel book didn't say that, but I have seen that at one or two of the seed supplier websites, can't remember which though. I have to say that I've got seedlings going at the moment for Bedford Champion, Ailsa Craig, Silverskin and Long Red Florence, and of the four varieties I'd definitely say Long Red Florence was the least robust and hardy. So maybe I'd better find another variety for my overwinter trial.

Maybe an overwintering japanese onion might be suitable?

xx
Tunnel Q

Started by AndyRVTR on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post December 03, 2020, 17:07
by rowlandwells
xx
New poly tunnel

Started by veggies on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post March 31, 2015, 22:23
by sonnycbr
xx
Leeks in tunnel

Started by samnorfolk on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post April 02, 2013, 11:11
by compostqueen
xx
New poly tunnel

Started by bobsbooth on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post September 25, 2012, 19:27
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 34 queries.