Onion neck rot

• 2 Replies

engineer

• Experienced Member
Onion neck rot
« on: September 17, 2013, 15:58 »
Anyone had any problems with neck rot this season? I have lost about 50-60% of my crop, i have looked at this site http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=747 and would agree with what they are saying however if the fungus is in the seed/set already and that there is nothing available to the amateur, what can we do if no sign of an attack is seen until after harvest and storage? One thing they do not mention is what to do with an infected crop! Idea's please
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 17:29 by engineer »

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Onion neck rot
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 16:24 »
The RHS article pretty much says it all - in fact it probably says too much given that there is no effective control for the amateur!  :nowink:

Other than crop rotation, I don't think you can do a lot more than pay great attention to the drying procedure, and to use thick-necked bulbs ASAP rather than trying to store them.

I used to lose over a third of my shallot crop in storage until I identified the bulbs most likely to rot in storage (thick necks is one type, those which have more than one bulb under a single outer skin is another, because they are separated by an internal skin which is impossible to dry out.)

I still expect to lose a quarter of mine before the winter is over though.  :(

Given the way the fungus overwinters I think the infected bulbs should be binned rather than composted.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

engineer

• Experienced Member
Re: Onion neck rot
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 16:38 »
Thanks JayG, i most certainly agree with your comment about the RHS.

I don't think we will get better drying weather than we have had this year, i am usually most carefull at sorting and storing however something has gone drastically wrong this year, the only thing i can think of is that the sets were infected before purchase  :(

I don't think i will be using the same supplier next year, and i shall now rake the infected one's off the compost heap and burn them.

xx
Garlic - hard neck versus soft neck

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 05, 2015, 09:04
by Snoop
xx
Pickling Onion recommendation / straggly onion & leeks

Started by kentishlad on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 13, 2007, 09:45
by Annie
xx
Onions-neck rot?

Started by penninehillbilly on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post December 14, 2010, 15:44
by Trillium
xx
tomato neck rot

Started by savbo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 18, 2010, 13:26
by Kristen

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 36 queries.