Frozen potatoes

• 7 Replies

Terry

Frozen potatoes
« on: November 28, 2010, 12:35 »
Hi its very cold but no snow,over the plot this morning pick some potatoes from the shed H/A said they are frozen and does not feel they will cook well. any thoughts? :unsure:

Nige2Plots

Re: Frozen potatoes
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 12:41 »
It certainly won't do them any good. Freezing and thawing of potatoes helps rot to set in.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 12:51 »
Trouble is that serious freezing breaks down the cell structure in the same way that cooking does!  :wacko:

Might get away with boiling for mash or possibly roasting but any frozen hard definitely won't keep IMO (if they're in a bag some of the more "sheltered" ones may have escaped OK.)

Thaw them out slowly, examine the extent of the damage, and take it from there.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

TheSpartacat

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 12:54 »
Hmm, you'll probably find that they start to go black after thawing.
Had this problem last Christmas- there was a big freeze on Christmas eve and all the spuds in the shed went black overnight.
When they go black they certainly don't look appetising- i didnt risk tasting them- just kept cutting away until i had only white tuber for cooking (decimated my bag of spuds it did!! :( )

nwalch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 16:26 »
Would the same apply if they are in the ground. I've still got about half a row of late maincrop I've not got round to digging up yet and it was minus 9 here last night. I guess the soil will offer some protection but not sure how much.
Are you looking for an allotment (full or to share) in South East Sheffield. PM me for details.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 16:52 »
I did lose a crop in the ground once - it will depend on how deep they are, how long the frost lasts, and how cold it gets.

None of us can give you a categorical answer - you'll need to wait till you can dig them up.

If it's any consolication, nwalch, I still have a plant or so in the ground, and we reached minus 11 degrees C last night!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

madcat

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 16:59 »
OH dug a leek or two for me today and the frost is about 3" deep here ...But we have only been a few degrees below for two/three days.  Positively summery compared to you guys further north.   :(
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Babstreefern

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 22:37 »
I went to the lottie today to transplant my goosegog bushes.  Found the ground rock solid.  Couldn't even dig out any leeks, swedes or parsnips, so came away.  My spuds are in sacks with other sacks draped over and around them in the shed, so hopefully they'll be ok - fingers crossed :blush:
Babs

xx
Frozen seed potatoes?

Started by skewball on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 22, 2010, 15:54
by Trillium
xx
Frozen seed potatoes

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 19, 2015, 09:17
by Kristen
xx
still frozen

Started by CHICKENGIRL on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 20, 2009, 08:32
by horsepooisgood
xx
Frozen seeds?

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 22, 2021, 13:48
by Nobbie

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 40 queries.