What size of compost bin will I need

• 6 Replies

nickmcmechan

What size of compost bin will I need
« on: November 27, 2010, 10:10 »
The local council subsidies compost bins - I can get a Komp 800 for £30, Komp 200 for £20 and a Con 220 for £8 - which size one would be best?

Zippy

Re: What size of compost bin will I need
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 10:17 »
What sizes are they? The names are not familiar?

There again, why not lash four pallets together and put your compost materials in that and make another one like that so you have one rotting and one filling? lace bits of old carpet over to keep warmth in an excess water out - all done for FREE!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 10:22 »
Assuming the numbers refer to the capacity the Con 220 has got to be the best value; if you have no bins at the moment then 2 or more is always a good idea (one "cooking", one maturing, one for storing finished compost - oh that's 3!!!!)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 17:30 »
Depends on how much stuff you are going to have to put in your bins. I would say a minimum of two - as JayG said - you need one to be filled then left to work, then another to be filling up as you go. If you haven't got mega amounts of stuff, then leave the first bin until some of it at the bottom is useable, then fork out the top stuff and use the bottom layers. Then refill the bin with the forked-out stuff and add what you have in your second bin which should have reduced in volume so your first bin should be nice and full. Then repeat the cycle. If you have loads, then get two big bins which should heat up better than smaller ones. Better still, use Zippy's ides with pallets.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

solway cropper

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 20:43 »
I would always go for the biggest you can get and plenty of them, or make your own. It's surprising how much household and other waste you can compost once you get started. I've got two large plastic bins, a big open heap, two leaf-mould frames and half a dozen black bags of rotting material with the intention of being totally self-sufficient in compost next year. It's taken a couple of years to get organized but I'm spurred on by the thought of not having to part with my hard-earned cash for dodgy compost at been and queued.

Zippy

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 09:10 »
Solway Cropper - a man (woman?) after my own heart! I go to the length of advertising for people's lawn mowings and leaf fall on Freecycle and if its close enough by I'll go collect it. Providing a community service as well as feeding my plot.

I have two large plastic composters (free from Freecycle) and four wooden pallet bins as described above. I usually find one of these is empty at any one time so there is always one to turn another bin into, which helps to get oxygen into the heap.

That's another idea - why not join your local Freecycle and put a WANTED out for compost bins? You'll get them free.

bigben

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 17:35 »
I have found the black plastic bins the best for sweating down stuff and getting the process started. Once stuff has had a bit of time in the plastic bins and start to cool down then you can chuck it into a bigger pallet bin to finish the process. I found when I just used a couple of pallet bins I got stuff regrowing and it did not really get very hot. This year I have 3 plastic bins and once the first is full I lift the bin off the compost and chuck the whole lot into the second. Eventually this fills and repeat the process via the third into my pallet bin. You can never have too much compost! Like others have said I now offer to cut my neighbours grass and keep the cuttings while another bags his stuff up to avoid having to use the council green bin and just gives it to me. I repay him some onions at the end of the year.

xx
What size to make a plot ? What size are your allotments ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post October 20, 2008, 20:50
by Minty
xx
'Brown' compost materials this time of year ? My compost bin is like a sewer.

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2023, 23:59
by pepsi100
xx
Carrots in compost and last years mushroom compost or not ?

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 08:29
by Steveharford
question
General Purpose Compost vs Growbag Compost

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 21:33
by Lawrence

Page created in 0.382 seconds with 39 queries.